RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Big Worm

Windows 10 Free Upgrade for 1 Year!

jmwills

Nice link JM. So much for the subscription model.

oceang

Sorry guys, I am still confused.

Botts article talks about a free upgrade to Windows 10 "good for the life of the PC". If I have a full retail license (as all of my current machines do, except for my Surface), what does this mean?  At the moment, I can transfer my licenses between machines in the family to meet our requirements, something I tend to do approximately annually, as I have a cleanout.

Myerson has been quoted a little bit differently depending on where you source his quote from.

Windows Supersite (Thurrot) says:
This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows "DEVICE" is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

Another site, http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/, says:

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the "OS".

There is a big difference, if it is the device, then my full retail versions of 8.1 Pro would effectively revert to an OEM type license when I upgrade to Windows 10, ie not transferable to another machine. I would not be happy with this as I tend to re-purpose machines from time to time within my family.

If it is "OS", then all licenses would revert to full Retail, as happened with the original Windows 8 licenses. If this is the case, I am unaffected, I am fine, and anyone with an OEM license would receive a value add by moving to Windows 10.

Does anyone have any clarity around this?

jmwills

I think what you are asking relates back to the EULA.  The license to run Windows is tied to the device.  You do not own it. So if you sell those machines the OS software should go with them. The thing that bothers me about this "upgrade cycle" is Microsoft will push updates to you whether you like it or not.  Windows 10 by default is set to update automatically as thought it were looking at a WSUS server.  You have to go into the Security Policy and change that.

I woke up this morning to a refresh (Build 9971 I think) and a dead hard drive that I kept some spare files on.  Coincidence?

oceang

I think what you are asking relates back to the EULA.  The license to run Windows is tied to the device.  You do not own it. So if you sell those machines the OS software should go with them. The thing that bothers me about this "upgrade cycle" is Microsoft will push updates to you whether you like it or not.  Windows 10 by default is set to update automatically as thought it were looking at a WSUS server.  You have to go into the Security Policy and change that.

I woke up this morning to a refresh (Build 9971 I think) and a dead hard drive that I kept some spare files on.  Coincidence?

JMWills, I do not believe that the license to run Windows is tied to a specific device for the retail versions of Windows.  It is restricted to one device at a time, but the owner of the license is free to transfer the license to another device at any time, provided that Windows is no longer installed on the original device.  I have looked at the Eula for my Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and this is a direct quote from it.  :

" Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and B) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key, and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers.Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and B) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key, and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers."

Hence, the point of my post. Will I lose this flexibility when I upgrade to Windows 10?

jmwills

Why would you think you would? You own valid licenses that are retail and I see nothing that says retails will convert to OEM. It can't especially if you BYOB.

Youre point on the EULA is correct. I was thinking OEM licenses which are always tied to the device. This whole upgrade process is still wsy to early for any one person outside MICROSOFT to be fully jn the know.

ikon

This is the first time I've seen this quote. Up til now, I was under the same impression as jmwills. It appears MS has given into reality and changed their EULA to match what people are doing anyway. I wonder if there was a court case somewhere that forced their hand.

That said, I think you're reading too much into the statements. People tend to move the OS to whatever computer they want, regardless of the licence. MS (Myerson) knows this. Why fight it, it's a losing battle.

I suspect that the idea is that a Win10 upgrade will inherit the basic terms of the EULA of whatever OS is being upgraded. So, if the computer had an OEM licence, then Win10 will be an OEM licence. Conversely, if the computer had a retail licence, then Win10 will inherit the retail licence. I think it will be much like when people started doing in-place upgrades from XP to Win7. If you recall, if you were upgrading from XP Home Edition then you could only upgrade to Win7 Home Premium. If you had XP Pro, then you could upgrade to Win7 Pro.

jmwills

I was upgraded to Build 9926 today automatically. Interesting that the Windows update feature is missing.

ikon

hmmmmm, do you think maybe they're aiming for an full-time "instal all updates automatically" scenario, where you have no choice?

If they do, I predict it won't last long: Someone will figure out how to disable it. Even if they don't, the first time an update breaks tens of thousands of systems because of a faulty update (and, face it, you KNOW it will happen), there will be a hugh and cry about it and MS will be forced to amend their ways.

jmwills

I've already taken care of that with a Group Policy

ikon

Heehee, good man :)