RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Only Drive

StanHD

My current set-up is 1 x 1Tb drive with system (WHS 1), 1 X 1Tb in pool. 1 x 0.5Tb drive for backup.

If I add an additional pool drive - say 1 Tb, then will the data all move to the 2 non-system drives, leaving the system drive with just the OS?

My current set-up is 1 x 1Tb drive with system (WHS 1), 1 X 1Tb in pool. 1 x 0.5Tb drive for backup.

If I add an additional pool drive - say 1 Tb, then will the data all move to the 2 non-system drives, leaving the system drive with just the OS?

With only two drives, WHS uses the remains of the first drive not dedicated to the System partition (20GB), aka, "Primary Partition" to store both (duplicated) files (aka. secondary shadows) and tombstones, and the second drive, the first of other partitions, aka, "Secondary Partitions" will store the (primary shadow of these duplicated) files.

Once you add third drive to the pool, Drive Extender (DE) Migrator will move the files from the (duplicated) files from Primary Partition to the new drive which form another "Secondary Partition", thus leaving only the tombstones on the Primary partition.

(Tombstones are effectively pointers to the locations of the shadow files.)

Once you add more drives, then DE's (do it now) Filter and (do it later) Migrator drive preference algorithms kick-in and you'll get some clue by reading section "Balancing Storage".

Edited by AlexF