RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My HP ProLiant Gen8 home lab

georgio

I think is fair to give back to the community so I will describe my home lab environment.

I am an IT professional. Besides programming banking related software part of my job deals also with the design and implementation of HA enterprise environments for financial institutions. I always wanted to play with the same stuff from work at home but the price tag for the toys from work ( >$500.000 enterprise hardware ) is too much for me to have at home.

The inner geek is exalted after several months of buying diferent bits of a home made HA enterprise environment.

Here the toys called nas1 and nas2

NAS1:

1. HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, Procesor Intel® Pentium® G2020T

2. 16GB of RAM  2 x Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G Arbeitsspeicher 8GB (1333 MHz, 240-polig, CL9) DDR3-RAM

3. SSD boot drive on ODD port: Crucial CT240M500SSD1 2.5-inch 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive

+ Gembird Molex F - Molex M + SATA M, 13.5cm

4. 3TB linux md RAID5 (1X1.4TB Seagate Barracuda + 3x1TB Seagate Barracuda) - legacy disks from my old raid machine.

5. Back-up Device LG BE14NU40 Super Multi Blue externer BluRay Brenner (14x Speed, USB 3.0)

6. Power Backup UPS nJoy Isis 1000L

7. HP ILO ADVANCED PK SINGLE SVR

8. Linux Fedora 21

NAS2

2. 4GB of RAM 2 x original HP DDR3 (the dimm that came with NAS2 + the one that came with NAS1)

3. SSD Boot drive on ODD port:  SSD Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch + Gembird Molex F - Molex M + SATA M, 13.5cm

4. 3TB linux md RAID1 (2X WD Red 3TB SATA-III IntelliPower 64MB ) The server disk enclosure is connected to the extra LSI SAS HBA internal port.

5. HBA:  LSI SAS 9207-4i4e Host Bus Adapter Kit (4 Port Internal, 4 Port External, 6Gb/s SATA+ SAS, PCIe3.0 HBA)

6. Back-up Device HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SAS External Tape Drive connected to the extra LSI SAS HBA external port

7. Power Back-up UPS nJoy Septu 600

8. HP ILO ADVANCED PK SINGLE SVR

9. Linux Fedora 21

Switch:

1. HP PS1810-8G Switch

Air con:

1. Zass AZ09P

Router:

1. Cisco Linksys E4200

Internet:

1. The tipical 200Mbps donwlink / 20Mbps uplink from Eastern Europe :) at $20 per month. Yeah I know I always brag to my underpriviledged american friends with their crappy internet links, sorry guys.

As you can see this is very close to an enterprise HA environmen :) I nice toy environment.

Current running as:

1. OwnCloud server for my family

2. Test Peacemaker based Linux cluster with a DRBD shared storage (two DRBD mirrored 400GB partitions allocated on each of the node's storages)

3. Media server for the 1.5TB movie collection

Hope this helps and I will add more things and pictures when I have time.

There is plenty place for extra storage and during the 2015 new exciting things will be added, or at least I hope.

Edited by georgio
  • Like 1

Very cool.

I'm not a fan of linux, but looks like you have a very nice setup there. :)

Also, I hope OwnCloud is treating you well!

I know the latest version, 7.0.4 IIRC, broke LDAP auth though. 

And out of curiosity, how often do you use OwnCloud?

If you want owncloud on Fedora Linux, the best tutorial is the following, but can be used for other Linux flavours also.

Click Here

- We use owncloud daily and use it hard.

- There are 3 smartphones 3 desktops and 2 laptops of the family linked to the owncloud.

- The phones are setup with picture instant upload also.

- Both me and my GF use it to move, keep work related documents on it. 

- I created a Daily rotation back-up job for owncloud data ( > 500GB already). Sadly is a little slow due to the huge number of files >200,000. I have the impression that the file version control system that owncloud implements is not so backup friendly. 

If you want to have a secure personal cloud I strongly advice you to test your deploy with SSLLabs tester  and do the recommended changes (disable TLS,  remove week ssl algorithms , close all unnecessary ports etc. )

I forgot to mention:

nas1:

9.  4GB MicroSD in server board card slot with  Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64 bootable rescue

nas2:

10.  16GB MicroSD in server board card slot with  Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64 bootable rescue

So both servers have a bootable rescue system already in place. It was very useful when I did some bad changes in /etc/fstab and made the nas1 system un-bootable while at 100km from the server.
ILO4 Advanced+ Android HP ILO console + smartphone + rescue system allowed me to edit /etc/fstab and fix the problem from the tablet over a mobile link :)
Edited by georgio
  • Like 2

If you want to have a secure personal cloud I strongly advice you to test your deploy with SSLLabs tester  and do the recommended changes (disable TLS,  remove week ssl algorithms , close all unnecessary ports etc.

Seems testing is possible if the personal cloud is linked to a domain name or did you use a workaround? 

I've installed owncloud and am happy so far. Seems solid.

@Royco Glad to be of help. I have my own domain name and the owncloud is using it. I only had to open the 443 port in my firewall.You are right I think you need a domain for the SSLLABS tester.

Look at the followin tutorial anyway to secure the resource if you open it to the world (even if you do not have a domain name is better to protect it). I used it to get a B+ rating for my site. I cannot get an A because I have a self-signed site certificate not an "official recognized" certificate from a known Certificate Authority.

https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Strong_SSL_Security_On_Apache2.html

Basically owncloud uses apache as the engine so the above link is valis also for owncloud.

News flash: On Friday I noticed that my owncloud backup was failing. Then I discovered is because one of the disks from the RAID 5 on nas 1 was in failed state (bad sectors due to long life , >5years disk). As a result I made an impulse buy of 2 x HDD NAS WD Red 5TB, 64MB, SATA 3.

I can confirm that the Gen8 supports the 5TB drives in RAID1 (Linux md software raid).  I will update the config on the original post.

Edited by georgio
  • Like 1

Updated configuration after one of the 1TB disks failed. I removed the RAID5, no longer recommended by a lot of enterprise environment vendors anyway.

After a repartitioning and reformat it looks like the bad sectors were isolated so I was able to use also the "failed" disk in a RAID1 setup.

Here the toys called nas1 and nas2

NAS1:

2. 16GB of RAM  2 x Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G Arbeitsspeicher 8GB (1333 MHz, 240-polig, CL9) DDR3-RAM

3. SSD boot drive on ODD port: Crucial CT240M500SSD1 2.5-inch 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive

+ Gembird Molex F - Molex M + SATA M, 13.5cm

4. 5TB linux md RAID1 (2x WD Red 5TB SATA-III IntelliPower 64MB)

5. 1TB linux md RAID1 (1X1.4TB Seagate Barracuda + 1x1TB Seagate Barracuda) - legacy disks from my old raid machine.

6. Back-up Device LG BE14NU40 Super Multi Blue externer BluRay Brenner (14x Speed, USB 3.0)

7. Power Backup UPS nJoy Isis 1000L

8.  4GB MicroSD in server board card slot with  Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64 bootable rescue

9. HP ILO ADVANCED PK SINGLE SVR

10. Linux Fedora 21 server. Main OS on the ODD SSD.

NAS2

2. 4GB of RAM 2 x original HP DDR3 (the dimm that came with NAS2 + the one that came with NAS1)

3. SSD Boot drive on ODD port:  SSD Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch + Gembird Molex F - Molex M + SATA M, 13.5cm

4. 3TB linux md RAID1 (2X WD Red 3TB SATA-III IntelliPower 64MB ) The server disk enclosure is connected to the extra LSI SAS HBA internal port.

5. 1TB linux md RAID1 (2x1TB Seagate Barracuda) - legacy disks from my old raid machine.

6. HBA:  LSI SAS 9207-4i4e Host Bus Adapter Kit (4 Port Internal, 4 Port External, 6Gb/s SATA+ SAS, PCIe3.0 HBA)

7. Back-up Device HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SAS External Tape Drive connected to the extra LSI SAS HBA external port

8.  16GB MicroSD in server board card slot with  Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64 bootable rescue

9. Power Back-up UPS nJoy Septu 600

10. HP ILO ADVANCED PK SINGLE SVR

11. Linux Fedora 21 server. Main OS on the ODD SSD.

Switch:

1. HP PS1810-8G Switch

Air con:

1. Zass AZ09P

Router:

1. Cisco Linksys E4200

Edited by georgio