RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Shindigg

HP MSS still worth buying?

Shindigg

Hey Drashna thanks for chiming in! If anyone deserves the title of Diehard it's him :D

I am more interested in the 48X & 49X's, for the exact reason you just gave, much beefier cpu options, but still considering the 470 for the right price.

As for the port multiplication, it's not as big of a concern, but would potentially increase the future usefulness of the box, if I get one.

It's also good news that if I do settle on the 470 that I shouldn't have much fuss with upgrades.

Now I know that people had success with quad cores on the 49X series...do you know about the 48X's? Just trying to cover all my options regardless of what I settle on.

As for the heat, is it an extreme cause for concern, or are we still talking about acceptable operating temps?

Drashna Jaelre

:)

As for heat, 40-50C depending on load. As I said, AMD. They tend to run hotter.

As for quad cores, I think the chipset being used doesn't actually support quad core.

I'm not sure, as i never tested that myself.

Shindigg

That's more or less what I expected for temps. I've gotten used to seeing the higher temps on AMD chips over the years, particularly the 125w chips, and especially when OC'ing, but I guess that's an acceptable range, especially considering how tiny the MSS case is.

Hmmm I guess I'll have to try to dig a bit deeper to find out whether or not it can be supported.

Shindigg

Ok guys I did some digging around and pulled the trigger on a 490. After careful consideration, I just decided the 470 wasn't quite going to cut it. It should be here some time next week. The only issue is the guy does not have the recovery disks to go with it. As I'm sure you guys know the disks are damn near impossible to find online. Would anyone that has the recovery disks for their 490 be kind enough to help a guy out and upload the ISO's and send me a link? I really would like to get V1 running on this thing the second it arrives, just so I can make sure there are no issues as the return period will be limited once it arrives. Thanks