RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Shindigg

HP MSS still worth buying?

Shindigg

Hello Everyone, I have been a follower of the podcast for quite some time, and admittedly I have more or less just trawled the forums, so unfortunately this will be my first post :ph34r:! I was just wondering whether or not the mediasmart servers are still worth considering. I have been running DIY boxes for the last couple of years, and playing around with Freenas, 2011, and now 2012R2. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this hobby being a borderline obsession. I always wanted to get one of the MSS's, but decided to go the Frankenbuild route . I know these things are considered underpowered by today's hardware standards, and they are not berfect,  but I cannot get over the sleek appearance and small form factor. I also never really had the pleasure of tinkering much with V1 and the ridiculous amount of addins for it, something that we all know 2011 and 2012 have lacked. Other than just having a new toy to play with, I'm somewhat in need of a SFF box as a secondary server since space is an issue. I know that someone will chime in asking if I have considered a microserver(I have), but I just don't find them  appealing as far as appearances go. Am I crazy for being this obsessed over specifically wanting a mediasmart?

Dave

Welcome to the forums! That reminds me I have a 470 I need to sell.

jmwills

I have a 485 that needs a good home.

Shindigg

Haha thanks for the warm welcome Dave! Love the show man! I've listened to you guys talk about these boxes a lot over the years. Do you know if Johnny Z is still running V1 as a  "production" box? Knowing you that 470 is well taken care of, are you sure you wanna part with it? ;)

A 485 does sound a bit more appealing(upgradeability and whatnot) is it a stock 485?

jmwills

Had to double check.  Mine is a 470 also.  Stock as stock can be.

Shindigg

Ahh gotcha...sorry for the late pm then, but still interested in the specifics.

Dave

I have two 470's. One is stock and the other one has a RAM upgrade.  They are fun to play with.  I'll always keep one I suppose.

Shindigg

How do the 470's stack up against the 485/7 & 490/5 as far as responsiveness, especially with addons? I'm not so much worried about transcoding performance as my homebuilt box would take care if those tasks. Also, I've been trying to read up a little on upgrading the cpu on the 470. It seems like there's a high risk of bricking the bios. I wouldn't expect any of the mediasmarts to win any speed competitions, but I would like a some power to play with, and I'm not so sure the little sempron on the 470 would be up to the task. Regardless, I really want one of these units to play around with, plus I think It would look sexy on my desk next to my gaming rig :D

awraynor

I had a 495. It's pretty, but my Frankenbuild is much more useful. 

Drashna Jaelre

Do you know if Johnny Z is still running V1 as a  "production" box? 

Yes, he is. :)

At least I believe so. 

How do the 470's stack up against the 485/7 & 490/5 as far as responsiveness, especially with addons? I'm not so much worried about transcoding performance as my homebuilt box would take care if those tasks. Also, I've been trying to read up a little on upgrading the cpu on the 470. It seems like there's a high risk of bricking the bios. I wouldn't expect any of the mediasmarts to win any speed competitions, but I would like a some power to play with, and I'm not so sure the little sempron on the 470 would be up to the task. Regardless, I really want one of these units to play around with, plus I think It would look sexy on my desk next to my gaming rig :D

The 49X is the best option to go with if you want a MediaSmart Server.

It's got the best CPU (Pentium E5200 IIRC). 

And keep in mind that the EX48X series don't support port multiplication for the eSATA port (so only one HDD can be seen via that connection).

As for the CPU upgrade for the EX470, I've not seen that and I did the upgrade to a BE-2400 IIRC (not sure on the exact CPU), but there shouldn't be a "risk" ... I mean other than it running on the HOT side.