RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems with Hibernation

Andyzz

Hi

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice. I would like my server to hibernate at night and I have been using the add on Lights Out with WHS 2011. I had some trouble getting this to work but searching the internet I have enabled hiberbation mode in the operating system by going to command prompt and typing

powercfg -h on

powercfg / hibernate

It was working well for a couple of weeks and I had to move the microserver to another room. I am now back to square 1 with the flashing red light / system hanging every time the server tries to hibernate. I have checked the logs in ILO and found

PCI Bus Error (Slot 0, BUS 0, Device 28, Function 7)

unrecoverable system error (NMI) has occurred.

The above error seems to consistently occur at every hibernation. 

Also the below error but don't think this is related. 

Network adapter link down (slot 0, port 2)

I have a Nvidia GT520 in the machine. Only thing I can think of is this is stopping hibernation due to some kind of firmware issue? Think moving the PC is just a coincidence. I will try and remove the graphic card tomorrow. Anyone got any other suggests as to what the problem may be?

Thanks 

Andy

Removed the graphics card and the machine hibernates and wakes without any issues. Changed the card for a  ATI R7 240 and again I have the same issue! So it must be something to do with the PCI settings. An ideas what I could try and change in the bios to get this to work?

Ps if anyone is using WHS 2011 and is thinking about installing a video card word of advice. The latest ATI drivers cause a blue screen death when installing. I am using an earlier version of driver (from April 2014). Worked perfectly with the earlier version. 

Thanks 

Andy 

I have heard of this: i.e. not being able to Sleep or Hibernate a computer because of the video card. The only resolution I recall seeing was to change the card... not an ideal solution.

Thanks Ikon

I have tried to change the card from Nvida to ATI thinking this may help. I noticed a couple of the forum members had ATI cards but it still have the same issue :( .

I wanted a faster card anyway (so the kids can play Minecraft!). Minecraft performance is not much better even with the ATI card which is nearly twice as fast. The Celeron must be the bottle neck but I will get round to changing that later in the year. Probably will go for an i3....

Just for info I have a MSI R7 240 2GD3 LPV1. Really nice fitting card. 

Edited by Andyzz