RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
NicCo

Synchronization between a host and a remote machine over the WAN ?

schoondoggy

What is the bandwidth between the two locations? Do you have data limits on your connection?

ikon

Good questions.

I just did a bit of reading on VPN in Windows 8/8.1. It appears setting up a VPN is now almost ridiculously easy to set up (finally). Win8 can even be set up as a VPN server. It looks like the hardest part now is the port forwarding on the router.

Drashna Jaelre

Good questions.

I just did a bit of reading on VPN in Windows 8/8.1. It appears setting up a VPN is now almost ridiculously easy to set up (finally). Win8 can even be set up as a VPN server. It looks like the hardest part now is the port forwarding on the router.

Vista and Windows 7 were as well. Just set up an "incoming connection" and you're set. Yes, it's PPTP, but for simple usage that may be okay. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/927884af-d0bc-40fb-9233-612901bcfa2f/how-to-setup-incoming-vpn-connection-in-windows-7?forum=w7itpronetworking

NicCo

I think the real question is how much actual data change is there on any given day. For example, these large files; are they completely new files, or are they large files with changes in them?

Yes large files are my movies backup, so they are new files without changes in the future

Thanks for the link, but a machine must see the other in order to compare. I think VPN could be a good solution

What is the bandwidth between the two locations? Do you have data limits on your connection?

The first machine uses a 500Mbps down / 200Mbps up bandwith, the second uses a 10Mbps down / 1Mbps up. I don't have any data limits connection

Good questions.

Vista and Windows 7 were as well. Just set up an "incoming connection" and you're set. Yes, it's PPTP, but for simple usage that may be okay. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/927884af-d0bc-40fb-9233-612901bcfa2f/how-to-setup-incoming-vpn-connection-in-windows-7?forum=w7itpronetworking

Thanks for the link, I've also found a link (in French) with explanation about VPN. Like ikon said, it seems to be very easy to set up a VPN connection between 2 or more machines ;)

Poppapete

Why not just sync the machines with onedrive?

Drashna Jaelre

Because some of us don't trust the cloud? :)

Also, another alternative is to set up WebDAV, and map that path to a drive letter on the system.

This can be more complicated, depending on how you set it up.

NicCo

Because I have too much data to suscribe at a cloud offer (I've already tried hubiC but it's slow...) :)

Because some of us don't trust the cloud? :)

Also, another alternative is to set up WebDAV, and map that path to a drive letter on the system.

This can be more complicated, depending on how you set it up.

Yes WebDAV could be an alternative, I think to try to set up VPN firstly, then if it doesn't work I'll try WebDAV.

ikon

Further on the VPN between 2 computers using the inbuilt feature of Win8/8.1. I set up my Win8.1 desktop as a VPN host, set my router up to forward port 1723 to it, then tried to connect using my Surface Pro 8.1 tethered to my phone.

It connects up OK, but the connection drops after 15 to 20 seconds, every time.

I tried a test where I made the connection while my Surface Pro was connected to my LAN. It connects and stays up, but I'm not sure this is a valid test because both computers are connected to the same network. And, in any case, the point is to be able to connect from the Internet, so doing it from the LAN is really a moot point.

The link path is Surface Pro --> phone --> Internet --> Untangle --> desktop.

It's certainly possible that Untangle is causing the problem, but I'm not sure yet.

jmwills

Wel of course it would have to be over a VPN, that's a given.  But PowerShell will work over a VPN.  I use a modified version of this script every day.