RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New build - New CPU Options - replacing my N54l with a Gen8

benmmellor

Hi all!

Managed to convince myself to join the Gen8 bandwagon and replace my trusty N54L with a Gen8 given that the price of the G1610 version had dropped and I could get a cashback cheque as well.

I'll run it as stock CPU initially, but am looking at replacing the CPU when funds allow.

At the moment I'm wavering between the i3-3220T, i5-3570T or if funds allow (and I can find stock in the UK!) I'll go for the E3-1265lv2. All being 45w LGA1155, they should be ok!

Will any ECC memory I buy for the Gen8 work with all of those CPU options and the current G1610T ? I'll probably install either 2x 4Gb or 2x 8GB depending on cost.

I do have some spare 2GB strips of IBM x3650M4 memory which I'll try as part of the initial build.

I've got a spare SANDisk Extreme 240GB SSD and cables ready to use the ODD slot for booting. I'm still to decide between continuing my WHS2011 or move to trial 2012 and decide if I can justify the cost!

This is primarily used for my household file storage and Plex Media Server.

I'll be transplanting my 2x 3TB Red's and 2x 2GB Green's over as well.

The i3-3250 works fine. i5 chips don't support ECC RAM.

I just got my i3-3250 off Amazon UK.  The i3-2120 works fine too.  No problems with heat, even when transcoding in Plex.

Edited by HellDiverUK

If you'll have your Gen8 located in a place where you want to keep it as quiet as possible the Xeon E3-1220L-V2 at 17W TDP w/2cores4hyperthreads is another possibility

Also, if you don't need bare metal backup/restore Win8.1Pro may be another OS to look at......... 

Check CSKenney's links page too http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

Looks like I need to update the Passmark performance Table to show HellDiverUK's CPU http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/?p=62204

The i3-3250 works fine. i5 chips don't support ECC RAM.

Yeah. I mean, basically, no i5 or i7 CPUs support ECC. So, it's an i3, or a Xeon. Seems pretty deliberate. Do you think Intel is forcing people to have either a low or high end servers, nothing in the middle?

Celerons and Pentiums work with ECC too.  It's basically a case of "if you want 4 cores or more with ECC, then buy a Xeon".

For my uses, the i3 is more than adequate, and I only really got it because it wasn't much more expensive that the fastest Pentium.  The only CPU intensive thing I use on my server is Plex, which is single threaded, so I wanted the fastest core speed possible.  Most of the time the machine is idling, so higher TDP chips are fine.

Availability of Sandys and Ivys is getting low now, too - Amazon was the only place I could get them at a decent price, and even they only have a few left in stock.

• Like 1

HellDiverUK - thanks for letting me know about the i5 not supporting ECC. Saves me an expensive mistake purchase.

Looks like I'll have to consider the i3 3220t, 3250 or splashout on the E3 then! As the

At the moment, I think the stock G1610T cpu should handle the occasional single transcode I might need for Plex - as the kids get older and I need to stream to more TV's then I support it would be nice to have a decent amount of grunt in the Plex server.

The Gen8 will be in my home office (I work from home most of the time) - my current N54L is on the unit near my desk and is quiet.

At worst case I have a spare pico-psu I can take out of my old VMware test box I have (mini-itx jobbie with an i5 core in it)

Celerons and Pentiums work with ECC too.  It's basically a case of "if you want 4 cores or more with ECC, then buy a Xeon".

I wasn't counting them as I consider them too old now. That said, guess what I'm using for my WHS2011? Da da ta daaaaa..... a Core 2 Quad :D.

However, that's only because I had it on hand. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy an Celeron or Pentium these days.

Will any ECC memory I buy for the Gen8 work with all of those CPU options and the current G1610T ? I'll probably install either 2x 4Gb or 2x 8GB depending on cost.

I do have some spare 2GB strips of IBM x3650M4 memory which I'll try as part of the initial build.

The x3650M4 uses UDIMM or RDIMM, check the modules to be sure they are not registered:

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=SP&infotype=PM&appname=STGE_XS_IN_USEN&htmlfid=XSD03132USEN&attachment=XSD03132USEN.PDF#loaded

. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy an Celeron or Pentium these days.

Not a Sandy or Ivy one, no.  But the Haswell Pentiums are pretty good.  I use a Haswell Pentium (G3430, dual core 3.3GHz) in my HTPC and it works perfectly.  It's WAY fast enough, and even the onboard GPU is good.  Whole machine uses just 25W playing a HD video across the network using Plex, and that's using a 300W PSU (Silverstone 300W SFX 80Plus Bronze)

• Like 1

Not a Sandy or Ivy one, no.  But the Haswell Pentiums are pretty good.  I use a Haswell Pentium (G3430, dual core 3.3GHz) in my HTPC and it works perfectly.  It's WAY fast enough, and even the onboard GPU is good.  Whole machine uses just 25W playing a HD video across the network using Plex, and that's using a 300W PSU (Silverstone 300W SFX 80Plus Bronze)

You gave me an idea. A few days ago I had an older LGA775 mobo die. I recovered the CPU (a Core 2 Due 2.4GHZ), RAM (4x1GB), and cooler (a really nice Zalman).

Unfortunately, I have no mobo to use them on. So, I looked into getting a replacement mobo. There isn't too, too much out there, but there are some boards. I'm a little disappointed by the prices though. I was hoping to get a board for less than $100, but boards with 4 DIMM slots are all pretty much over that. Not sure what I'll do.