RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Live TV on SP2

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anyone running MC on their SP and able to get live TV? I have an HTPC that is my main box and where I set up my HDHomerun Prime tuners. I try to connect my SP2 so I can get live TV but I get an error indicating it can't find my tuners. The error is after going to Tasks>Settings>TV>Set Up TV Signal.

Anyone know how to set it up correctly?

you might post your question on SurfaceGeeks forum.  There may be people over there that have done what you are asking.

Which HDHomeRun device?  There are newer devices now like the HDHR Extend (formerly known as HDHR Plus).

I just set it up on a Win 8.1 desktop.

I ran the HDHomeRun software. Then in MC, I think I clicked on TV, Live TV and it setup the channels for me.

Sorry I don't remember the exact steps, but I don't think I went into tasks.

schoondoggy,

I tried what you referenced but I don't get any channels. Like I said, my HTPC works as you describe. Its like I can't have two different media centers attached to the tuners. Dave indicated he had it working on his Surface once so hopefully he will see this and enlighten me.

cskenney,

Good idea and I have the original HDHomerun Prime.

Thanks guys.

I ran MC on my SP 2 just fine. HDHR software and Media Center guided setup. Nothing different than a desktop or htpc. I would remove reinstall HDHR and try again.

I didn't install the HDHR software on my sp2. I guess I thought it was just for the initial setup of the tuners. I will add it and that will probably resolve the issue. Thanks for the info Dave.

Okay Dave, that definitely got me further. Now I get an error message indicating the following, "the video playback device doesn't support protected content". Then after a minute or so it starts playing the show and premium channels don't work at all. Did you ever see this behavior?

2 things:

1. Did you try running the Digital Cable Advisor again in MC?
  2. Did you go through the steps to set up your cable card(s) in Media Center again?

Sometimes going through the setup of those things will help these kinds of problems.

Occasionally (like maybe 3 times a year), I will get that error message and it goes away when I tune to a "free" (think QVC) digital channel and then switch back to the protected (think NFL network) content.