RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs 2011 - cant find it!

tbarkatali

Not sure what the UNC path is I'm afraid.. Is it possible to remote desktop into a PC when its on your own internal network or does it only work if you are connecting from outside the network?

I'm quite happy with the way its working so far..

The NUC arrives in a couple of days and hopefully I will have all the data off my htpc, and once the nuc is on the network I should be able to set up xbmc to read off the server shared HDD easily..

And once I figure out how to access the server I can set it it up as the music server for my logitech squeezeboxs as well which all in all would make this fairly successful for me!

UNC = Universal Naming Convention. It's the \\server-name\sharename type nomenclature.

Remote Desktop can be used from both the LAN and WAN. "Remote" in this case simply means "not on the actual machine itself".

Tried to get remote desktop to work, managed to connect to the server but can't get passed the authentication part. On the server I only have 1 user and that's the admin with no password.. Tried to go in but it wants a password for 'other user'

Anyway after an hour of playing I ended up using Google chrome remote desktop instead.. Probably not as full featured but I can get into the server and run applications etc.. Will see if that allows me to do everything I want...

I just reinstalled my WHS2011 and I was able to use Remote Desktop right away. I suspect your problem is that you don't have a password for Administrator. I would give that account a password and try again. MS considers it a big no-no to not have a password on an administrator account.

If I set a password for the server when I switch it on from dead I assume I will have to enter a password to get it to boot? Or would I still be able to access the servers drives from my htpc without the server actually logged in?

Reason I say that is the server won't have a keyboard or screen attached most of the time..

Got a bit of a funny problem..

I set one of my drives as a share and called it movies.. I then mapped that drive on my htpc.. All good.

I then proceeded to rename that drive movies and music.. So the mapped drive no longer worked so I shared the drive again with its new name..

Problem is the old share still shows up as a visible drive when I look to map other network drives?? Not causing any problems but I do not know where I can find a full list of all of the shared drives on the server??

The server shares will be accessible without you logging into it.  Use the Dashboard to create your shared drives unless you totally understand Share Permissions and NTFS permissions.

What he said ^^. Use the Dashboard for all admin work that you can. There are obviously things you can't do through Dashboard. You can do them through Remote Desktop, but creating shares and users can all be done through the Daskboard, so do it that way - it's the WHS2011 is designed to work.

And, no one needs to be logged into a server in order for its shares to be available. In fact, you're not supposed to leave a server logged in. It's a security risk.