RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs 2011 - cant find it!

tbarkatali

server should be delivered today, not sure what drive to use for the OS, apparently i can set it up so I can use 4 drives for storage??  is this a complex thing to set up and is there any other hardware (cables etc that i would need?

Are you talking UPnP on the router to the Internet? I would never enable that: too much of a security risk as far as I can see.

No.  UPNP also does media sharing internally on your network.  It's similar to DNLA.

No.  UPNP also does media sharing internally on your network.  It's similar to DNLA.

Thanks. So you can use UPnP internally without having it enabled on the router? How does it get used on a LAN. What I mean is, where is it enabled on a LAN, or is it enabled by default on Windows computers and they just talk to each other? I've only ever known using it to allow computers to automatically configure a router to allow access to the Internet, primarily to set up for access to the LAN from the Internet.

Server is here, looks like a small pc, its quite cool I like it.. I'll try and find a nice place for it in the house maybe connect to the network using a Ethernet home plug or something...

Need some help getting started, I want to put the os on an ssd as advised but unsure if I need a special cable for it or not or if there is anything I need to do to the BIOS for me to be able to use the ssd? Can I leave the ssd in the space for the DVD drive, can I just leave it there or does it need a special cradle or anything?

Sorry for the questions I am just about to order a VGA cable and the ssd from Amazon so would be good to know if there is anything else I need now..

I believe you will need a Molex-to-SATA power adapter. You will also have to run a standard SATA cable from the SATA port on the motherboard to the space above the drive cage (the ODD space).

Yes, you can put the SSD up there. People have used various methods for 'mounting' the SSD up there, from duck tape to installing a drive cage.

I would not connect the N54L to your network using a homeplug. In my experience, these Ethernet-over-house-wiring devices are quite slow.

That's great thanks.. I'll order the molex to sata cable and a sata data cable too.. I can't see where the data cable would go but I guess I have to get the mobo out to be able to see where it goes..

Once the cabling is done will the BIOS automatically see the ssd as a drive that I can boot from or do I need to change the bios or any specific settings?

This could be either quite a frustrating week or a really rewarding one!

I can't recall for certain, but you may need to flash the BIOS with a modded one in order to use the SSD on that SATA port. Joe_Miner is our resident expert on this stuff. Perhaps he can chime in.

I'll wait for joe to advise or if I get really stuck maybe send a cheeky pm..

Just a thought is an ssd really the best option if the server is always on? Surely the benefit is mainly boot up speed, could I get away with saving a few quid and just getting a basic 250gb laptop drive?