RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs 2011 - cant find it!

tbarkatali

3 or 4 times in six years?

Correct. :)

Apparently he's not updating FreeNAS very often, or maybe FreeNAS just hasn't issued many updates?

It doesn't need updated, it works, and it's on a closed, secure network.  It only acts as an iSCSI target for backing up another server.

So after doing a bit more reading, there seems to be some opinion online that i can probably do everything i want to do with an install of windows 8 instead of WHS11 or 2012? 

Do you guys agree with that? If so it seems a reasonable option, i install windows 8 on the N54l and then add it to my homegroup and all of the machione at home should be able to see it??

what about things like access from outside my home?

I use Windows 8.1 Pro on my server.  It's been stable and fast.  I've had no issues at all with it.

I just use Teamviewer for remote access, then again I only use it to kick off downloads and the likes.  My media sharing is handled by Plex.

• Like 1

would you say the set up process of using windows 8 is better than it would be for freenas/unraid/xpenology?

plus io could get my younger brother who lives with me to buy my a copy of windows 8 on the student programme for £50..  i am assuming that the version provided will have the functionality i need? 

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288533400

WOuld it be as simple as sharing folders in the windows 8 box and they will appear as shared folders on my HTPC?

PS all my other machines at home are on Windows 7 and my HTPC is on windows 7 home, would that have any adverse effect?

Edited by tbarkatali

Yeah, it's dead easy, just set up whatever users you have on your PCs on the Windows 8 'server'.  So, for example, on mine I have 4 users.  One user automatically logs in and that runs all the programs.  3 other users are also set up, which match the logins on the two laptops and the HTPCs.

If you can get 8.1 Pro, then it's better because you can use Remote Desktop to connect to the server - that's not possible with plain Windows 8.

Bit confused by the 4 users?? for example in my home none of my machines have 'users' set up as such they are all just simply auto log in, i assume i can set the windows 8 'server' up exactly the same, add in 4 HDD and make the folders in each HDD shared? That way i can see the shared folders from my windows 7 machine which is on the homegroup?

Also would it be possible to map the shares as a fixed drive on the other machines so they are always visible?

When installing the OS do i ahve to have all HDD that i want to use in the machine or can i add them 1 at a time? What about if i take a HDD from my windows machine that has only media on it and put it in the n54l would it recognise the media on the drive or will it need to be wiped before its recognised?

Sorry for all the dumb questions..

Your client machines must have some user set up, probably with no password if they go straight to desktop at boot.  You just need to ensure that same user is set up on your 'server' machine.  If all the machines have the same user by default, then happy days, just set up your 8.1 Server to be the same.

You'll be able to move drives between machines no problems.

• Like 1

this feels like the most sensible option for me i think, it also means i can run the squeezebox server from there as well..

Not sure if this is possible but if i set up xbmc on the server is it posisble for me to acces that XBMC as a server ie it shows the same watched shows and lets me resume from where i stopped on all different devices? (sounds complicated already!)

Yeah, you can just run XBMC on your 'server' and use it's uPNP sharing option.  That'll keep everything synced.

Consider Plex, though.  I was a big fan of XBMC for years, but have just moved over to Plex.  I run Plex server on the server, and Plex Home Theatre on my HTPCs.  If you sign in your server using the free Plex account, you can watch videos across the internet just by going to Plex.tv web site, and you can see all your stuff.