RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs 2011 - cant find it!

tbarkatali

The USB sticks only are used to boot and hold the configuration.  If a server is running 24/7 it'll only read the USB stick on boot.

I've a FreeNAS box at work that's been running 24/7 for 6 years, and it boots off the cheapest USB stick I could find (a free thing that came with some advertising PDFs on it).  It's been perfect.

cool think that will be my first attempt then i guess, does that mean that i will have all 4 drive bays available to me for data as i am not installing any OS on a drive?

also i assume that i create the boot drive on a  normal windows pc then simply put it in the usb port and hey presto or is it more involved than that??  I do feel sightly nervous that i may have gotten over my head in buying the microserver, feels like i am playing with stuff i have no real knowledge of at all!  hopefully with some help from here all will be ok in the end!

Appreciate the help so far chaps, hopefully i can do as much as posisble by myself but great to know there are some helpful folk on here willing to spare their time for people like me..

The OS is not on the USB Flash Drive. It only contains the bootloader. What will happen is that, after you boot from the USB Flash Drive, you will connect to the XPenology box using a browser on another computer. In the web page that appears you will start the actual installation process. It will take over ALL of your drives and use them the way it wants to. So, your data will not be separate from the OS. I think it goes into another partition, but XPenology manages the drives.

I believe there are ways to manually configure the drives, but I understand that this is for advanced users with plenty of Linux experience. I didn't try it.

Yes, after you create the USB Flash Drive, you use it to boot the N54L. As I said above, after that you get to actually install the OS.

The USB sticks only are used to boot and hold the configuration.  If a server is running 24/7 it'll only read the USB stick on boot.

I've a FreeNAS box at work that's been running 24/7 for 6 years, and it boots off the cheapest USB stick I could find (a free thing that came with some advertising PDFs on it).  It's been perfect.

helldriver thats reassuring, 6 years! 

I will give which ever seems easiest to install a go and see how i get on, Fingers crossed!

Edited by tbarkatali

Yeah, it's a NL36 Microserver (one of the very first ones).  Last uptime was 420 days, only defeated by the UPS dying. I think it's only been rebooted 3 or 4 times in 6 years.

AFAIK, it's still free. At least, Hyper-V Server 2012 (r2) is free. Of course, that doesn't give you an OS, and it's command line only management.