RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs 2011 - cant find it!

tbarkatali

HI all, new member here..

Sorry for the potentially daft question, but looking for some help on my very first server.

I have just bought a HP n54L and i want it to replace my ReadyNas Duo, currently i use tyhe ready nas to store video and stream it to my HTPC and its second use is to run logitech squeezebox server for my squeezebox radio and duo. Thats all it currently does..

I bought the N54L mainly because it wasn't much more expensive than buying a new NAS with more storage.

Now I want to have a very simple set up that someone with zero server/networking knowledge can handle so i assumed that windows home server would be best for this as i assume will simply be visible to my other devices connected to the same router.

The first problem i have come across is that i cant seem to find a copy of WHS 2011 anywhere?? Any tips?

If its not possible to get hold of any more is there another solution that i can use for the N54L that would be simple enough for my requirements?  Id ideally like to access it from outside my home also but thats not a deal breaker..

Sorry if this is a silly question but really unsure of where to start to be honest..

Newegg had it for a very short time at the beginning of January but it went out of stock very quickly.  Pretty tough to find any longer.

I'm afraid you've come to the WHS2011 party a bit too late. It is possible to find it, but it's difficult. Someone noticed it for sale on Newegg recently — it was sold out in hours. If you do find it, it will likely cost you around $200.

There are other options. Linux is always an option of course. Many flavours are free, but you need to be prepared for more admin work. Windows Server 2012 Essentials (r2) is also an option, but it will cost around $400. You could even look into XPenology, which is free, but has it own concerns.

What a bizzare scenario, not being able to buy OS that isn't even that old??  Surely that plays into the hands of pirated copies..

Anywho ill keep looking, there seem to be some on ebay but dont really trust them as most of the adverts say they have shattered the original CD so send a 'copy'!

If i went with the latest ubuntu server for example would i be able to see all of the shares easily from my windows machines, android handsets and tablets?  I have used ubuntu on my laptop before and it was almost impossible for me to move data from one machine to the other consistently..

I have looked into xpenology and it seems a reasonable option i guess but as i am so new at this i am finding a lot of the guides to be targeted at the better informed than myself, once installed from USB is it as simple as say the readynas to get it running and sharing data?

PS. thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated!

Edited by tbarkatali

WHS 2011 was replaced by Server 2012 Essentials in September 2012, and it's been replaced by Server 2012R2 Essentials.

WHS 2011 was also only really supposed to be sold as OEM software preinstalled on a server, it's surprising it's been available at all to the general public.

It's not really that odd. WSE2012 has been out almost 3 years now. Microsoft hasn't been making the DVDs since 2012, so I'm not surprised they've finally sold out.

Yeah, I would be leery of eBay copies, particularly the licences they sell you.

I didn't find XPenology hard to install, but I've been installing PCs and servers for decades, so I'm pretty used to it. I do find the interface easy to use. It's a good OS IMHO. However, because XPenology is an unapproved clone of the Synology DSM, it can be a bit tougher to get set up, and to update. You do have to pay attention to what's going. For example XPenology may tell you there's an update to DSM but, if you try to install it, it could hose your installation. Mostly, you upgrade XPenology by doing a reinstall of the OS. I gather this does not destroy your data, shares, and other configuration items. If you hadn't already bought the N54L you might have considered getting a real Synology DiskStation. Of course, they're quite a bit more expensive.

I didnt really want to spend a large sum of money to be honest, I am swapping my old HTPC unit with a NUC i5 that will connect to my AVR and tv and then wanted the home server to feed data which is basically tv and movies..  so realisitcally its just not worth the £300 on the homeserver 2012 software..

Feels like i am going to have to have a go with xpenology first and keep my eye out for a copy of WHS 2011..   

quick question:

if i have 3 data drives in the n54l and 1 for the OS can i remove the 3 data drives and ensure that the data stays as it is when doing say an upgrade of xpenology or even a different OS, then when i put the 3 drives back will the new OS be able to read the original drives?  Or do i have to get all my data off the drives every time i want to change the OS?

Edited by tbarkatali

OK, my first question is, "where is your backup?". Is none of this data valuable? How would you feel if you woke up tomorrow morning and it was all gone?

It's almost certain that the new OS will NOT read the data drives as they are. I would never install a new OS and add data drives without at least 2 copies of that data 'on the shelf'. In real life, I actually have 4 or 5 copies of all data.

Be aware, to run XPenology, you will need to dedicate a USB Flash Drive to be used as the boot device. There are instructions out there on how you can set it up so you don't need the USB Flash Drive, but I advise against doing it that way. I tried it and found out it's really hard to do any upgrades, so I went back to the USB boot method. However, I'm not actually running XPenology ATM. The drives are sitting on a shelf.

Have you considered UnRAID?  I'm playing with it at the moment, and its seems pretty neat.  I used it a long time ago and it was pretty good.

In true newbie fashion, my data is not backed up, its either on its original disks that i ripped the music or dvd from and all the tv that i have recorded from my HTPC isn't back up at all just sat on the HDD..

I guess the first port of call is to put all of this on an external drive...  I have in fact lost 1 drive before that had music on there so had to download the files  from google play music where i had it mirrored, however if i had lost the video then it would have been a major pain to re-rip!!

To clarify, i will not be using my existing HDD's i will be adding new drives to the N54l (2 *2tb drives to start) moving the data off my current HTPC drives on to the N54l and using the old HDD's in external for basic back up..

Is the OS stable if it running off a USB stick? seems a lot of stress to put on it if the server is switched on most of each day if not most the week?

Sorrry to be cheeky, do you have any links with install instructions for Xpenology that are reliable? What about freenas?