RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to rip massive CD collection to iTunes (unattended)?

juzzle

Hi all,

I have a few thousand CDs in my collection, most of which are not yet ripped to iTunes. For many years, I've promised myself I would get them all digitally ripped.  Question is - how?  I had it in mind that the Imation Stakka (rotary style carousel type change) was the key, but it seems it never was able to do such a thing (and is no longer supported anyway).

So now I thinking a rack of 10 CD readers in some time of external enclosure.  Can anyone give me some starter ideas?

Many thanks,

Justin

MyMovies allows for DVD and CD ripping, and I believe it supports multi disk readers.

This would be the simplest way to do so, but a bit on the pricy side, IIRC.

Hmmm, this seems like a pretty difficult task. Even with a multidisc reader tower, what software would allow for automatically ripping from each reader in the tower? I don't know if such a thing even exists. Even if it did, the biggest towers I recall seeing help about 12 readers. It would take a lot of work to rip thousands of discs.

Before I'd invest all the money in the equipment, I would do some research to see how much of that is already up on Amazon, for FREE

• Like 1

I have a few thousand songs, but a few thousand CD's? I envy you. :)

Worst case would be, rip a dozen CD's everytime you're in front of the computer... slowly but surely. You'll get to the hundreds then thousands before you know it. Sorry I can't be further help.

Thank you Drashna

MyMovies allows for DVD and CD ripping, and I believe it supports multi disk readers.

This would be the simplest way to do so, but a bit on the pricy side, IIRC.

That did occur to me, but I kinda want to keep it all in the iTunes universe - you know, I trust the quality, the levels adjustment and the error correction.

Thank you Ikon,

Hmmm, this seems like a pretty difficult task. Even with a multidisc reader tower, what software would allow for automatically ripping from each reader in the tower? I don't know if such a thing even exists. Even if it did, the biggest towers I recall seeing help about 12 readers. It would take a lot of work to rip thousands of discs.

I am half tempted to buy a 10 slot tower ($200?) and 10 slimline CD/DVD readers (@$30) - but I'd much prefer to buy a ready to go one - at $400, it would be easy to flog off when I was done.

Fortunately iTunes is multi-CD-aware, whilst they all can't be ripped with one command, you can cycle through the CDs and kick the process off - near enough for me:

itunes_two_cds.png

Thank you JMWills

Before I'd invest all the money in the equipment, I would do some research to see how much of that is already up on Amazon, for FREE

Don't you have to stick in your CD in order to verify you own the physical media? Yeah, kinda defeats the purpose methinks ;)

Yeah OJ, I hear you ..

I have a few thousand songs, but a few thousand CD's? I envy you. :)

Worst case would be, rip a dozen CD's everytime you're in front of the computer... slowly but surely. You'll get to the hundreds then thousands before you know it. Sorry I can't be further help.

But it's like pulling teeth :blink:

Hi all,

I have a few thousand CDs in my collection, most of which are not yet ripped to iTunes. For many years, I've promised myself I would get them all digitally ripped.  Question is - how?  I had it in mind that the Imation Stakka (rotary style carousel type change) was the key, but it seems it never was able to do such a thing (and is no longer supported anyway).

So now I thinking a rack of 10 CD readers in some time of external enclosure.  Can anyone give me some starter ideas?

Many thanks,

Justin

There's this.

http://www.binaryscene.com/2010/09/patrick-nortons-cd-ripping-monster.html

Thank you Drashna

That did occur to me, but I kinda want to keep it all in the iTunes universe - you know, I trust the quality, the levels adjustment and the error correction.

Thank you Ikon,

I am half tempted to buy a 10 slot tower ($200?) and 10 slimline CD/DVD readers (@$30) - but I'd much prefer to buy a ready to go one - at $400, it would be easy to flog off when I was done.

Fortunately iTunes is multi-CD-aware, whilst they all can't be ripped with one command, you can cycle through the CDs and kick the process off - near enough for me:

itunes_two_cds.png

Thank you JMWills

Don't you have to stick in your CD in order to verify you own the physical media? Yeah, kinda defeats the purpose methinks ;)

No.  If you are a Prime Member, they run sort of a de-duplication archive to keep from having the same media up there thousands of times.  But to answer the original question, heck, you've spent upwards of $15k on all this music (my guess), whats $500 or so to rip it all?  As we would say at work, "hire an intern".

awraynor, the Monster Ripper + dbPowerAmp sounds like an awesome combo.

juzzle, if you combine dbPowerAmp (paid version) with a purpose-built CD/DVD tower, it sounds like you might have your answer. There is one thing though: I've noticed that some of the towers with, say, 12 readers, require a SCSI connection to the host computer. You probably don't have that on your computer (not many people do anymore). SCSI cards can be pretty expensive.

I did find these little beasties from Addonics: http://www.addonics.com/category/dvd-cd-tower.php. They use eSATA connections, which makes it a lot easier. You do need eSATA connection(s) that have Port Multiplier. The 9 disk unit requires 2 eSATA connections; the 5 disk requires 1 eSATA, and the 3 disk can use 1 eSATA or USB.