RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
NicCo

StableBit DrivePool vs DriveBender with Windows 8.1 ?

oj88

Oh yeah. Forgot about DB using HDS as the engine for their SMART module. But I do stand by the fact that despite this pseudo integration, DB and the full version of HDS does not interact with each other in any way shape or form. Not out of the box anyway.

As for the tray icons, I agree with you and I've disabled them 5 minutes afte I ran HDS the first time. If I'm not mistaken, I run HDS as a service so it can send out notifications.

But yeah, great product nevertheless. It can be better though.

• Like 2

NicCo

Many thanks to all ! I didn't hope so much responses !

DrivePool seems to be a very good solution for me, so I'm going to try it for a while and buy it ;)

My 2 last questions :

- Is it possible to notify HDD errors by e-mail ?

- Is it possible to buy 2 packs DrivePool + Scanner with a discount price ? Like DrivePool 2 licenses or Scanner 2 licenses ? :D

Thanks !

NicCo

So I've installed DrivePool and Scanner, add a first HDD SATA drive and restart my PC. Next I've plugged my HDD USB 3.0 and I've had a bug, unable to see my files under my external HDD and Scanner was blocked on Initializing status. I've shutdown my PC but it didn't shutdown so I've unplugged my external HDD and PC has shutdown. Then I've restarted without external HDD plugged, stop Scanner service and plugged my external HDD and it works.

Is there a bug with external HDD and Scanner ? Is there a way to config to not scan removable devices ?

Thanks !

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

So I've installed DrivePool and Scanner, add a first HDD SATA drive and restart my PC. Next I've plugged my HDD USB 3.0 and I've had a bug, unable to see my files under my external HDD and Scanner was blocked on Initializing status. I've shutdown my PC but it didn't shutdown so I've unplugged my external HDD and PC has shutdown. Then I've restarted without external HDD plugged, stop Scanner service and plugged my external HDD and it works.

Is there a bug with external HDD and Scanner ? Is there a way to config to not scan removable devices ?

Thanks !

I would suggest turning in a trouble report to CoveCube -- you shouldn't have that problem.

I have a USB3.0 external drive attached to my WHS2011 (the 1st system in my Signature below) as a Server Backup Disk and DrivePool sees it without problem and Scanner is scanning it without apparent problem -- as you will see it has actually detected SMART issues with my external backup disk which is no surprise -- it's a very old 2TB WD Green Drive..............

gallery_1229_39_70860.jpg

gallery_1229_39_104210.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Thanks !

I've had a lot of issues trying to get Scanner to work with USB3 drives. I tried USB3 cards with the Renesas uPD720200 and uPD720202 chips; they don't work. What happens to me is that the drives get dropped when Scanner is installed. I've tried some of the diagnostic tools from StableBit but they never gave me any info, I think basically because the USB3 card got dropped from the system.

JM, do you know what chipset your USB3 is using? And, have you done any performance comparisons between USB2 and USB3 to your external drive? I did some on mine and USB3 was only about 25% faster, whereas eSATA was 75% faster (my external enclosure has USB3 and eSATA).

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

I've had a lot of issues trying to get Scanner to work with USB3 drives. I tried USB3 cards with the Renesas uPD720200 and uPD720202 chips; they don't work. What happens to me is that the drives get dropped when Scanner is installed. I've tried some of the diagnostic tools from StableBit but they never gave me any info, I think basically because the USB3 card got dropped from the system.

JM, do you know what chipset your USB3 is using? And, have you done any performance comparisons between USB2 and USB3 to your external drive? I did some on mine and USB3 was only about 25% faster, whereas eSATA was 75% faster (my external enclosure has USB3 and eSATA).

As I recall they are pretty robust -- It's the NEC Chipset on Gigabyte's X58A-UD3R System Board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#sp

ikon

That's interesting JM. If it's NEC, then it should be a Renesas chipset. I can't help but wonder why yours works and mine doesn't.

EDIT: I just checked the downloads for that board and it does say that the USB3 chipset is Renesas. What's more, it shows the latest driver as 2.0.30.0. I have used this driver in my setup and it didn't work. There must be something about the fact that I was using a Lian Li EX-503 enclosure, which uses a JMicron controller.

revengineer

I too have issues using newer versions of scanner with the USB 3 renesas chips and jmicron chips in external enclosures. I use a two year old version to avoid collapse of my production server.

ikon

I too have issues using newer versions of scanner with the USB 3 renesas chips and jmicron chips in external enclosures. I use a two year old version to avoid collapse of my production server.

Which version is that? Drashna and Alex might be interested to know which version does work. It might give a clue as to what's causing the issue with newer versions.

NicCo

Hi, thanks to all ;)

For me it's a AMD USB 3.0 Chipset from ASRock AM1H-ITX but I don't know if it's a Renesas or NEC or other brand...

I've tried again and same problem, I can't use my external USB 3.0 HDD if Scanner service is started so it's a problem for me :(