RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
NicCo

StableBit DrivePool vs DriveBender with Windows 8.1 ?

NicCo

Hi,

I have a new PC with Windows 8.1. I've installed 3 3TB HDD and I would like to use a pool solution, so I've found the populars DrivePool and DriveBender.

I've read some forums (and particularly here)  in order to find differences between both but without a great success !

I know this forum supports DrivePool but I think I could find some informations so I post my questions ;)

I would like to :

- Pool my HDD into one virtual drive (softs are intended to do this :D)

- Check HDD health (S.M.A.R.T.) + e-mail notifications

- Not impact (too much) performances

I don't care about deduplication or other advanced functions at the moment, but perhaps I'll need some of its in the future.

Thanks for your help !

ikon

Given your wishlist, I would go with DrivePool, because it works very well with StableBit Scanner. Scanner is what will give you the Check HDD health (S.M.A.R.T.) + e-mail notifications. You can buy DrivePool and Scanner as a bundle and save some money.

• Like 1

NicCo

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm reading description of Scanner and I'm looking at the price, 34,95$ for a single license vs 29,95$ for 2 licenses with DriveBender (it seems to include S.M.A.R.T). I forget to tell I'll install a 2nd PC in a near future so 2 licenses is a great point. But I don't find a comparison or some reviews between both :(

ikon

IMHO, SMART data is of very limited use. Basically, I don't put much faith in SMART. The big advantage of Scanner, to me at least, is that it will actually scan the drives periodically. I feel this is a MUCH better test of drive health than anything SMART might report.

However, if you do trust SMART, then DriveBender might be the better way to go for you.

• Like 1

NicCo

Thanks ;)

You're right, SMART is only to get limited informations so Scanner should be better. But is there an impact to perfs with Scanner (because it scans all disks) ? Does it also use SMART informations ? And scan periodically drives don't affect HDD health (because it scans very often so many read access to HDD) ?

Drashna Jaelre

Let me start this off by saying that I am definitely biased here. I work for Covecube (StableBit), so my opinions are biased.

That said, Ikon and other's can attest to the fact that I have been recommending the StableBit suite long before getting hired on. 

That said:

Drive Bender gets SMART data by using a "Lite" version of HD Sentinel. it's very feature limited version. You can by a full license and use it. However HD Sentinel doesn't do active disk scanning the way that StableBit Scanner does (it can IIRC, but it's not a done by default). 

As for why StableBit Scanner is liked?

http://blog.covecube.com/2014/10/why-using-stablebit-scanner-is-a-good-idea/

StableBit Scanner monitors the SMART data and does a full surface scan (read pass of every sector) to make sure that the entire disk is readable. And a file system check (chkdsk).  Additionally,  this scan happens once a month by default, and is good for the disk's health (as it can trigger built in error correct for the disks).

And as for the pooling,

Stablebit DrivePool features "balancers" which allow for control of file placement on the pool. 

In fact, if you have both products installed, if StableBit Scanner detects damage to a disk, it will trigger the corresponding balancer in StableBit DrivePool to evacuate the contents of the pool, to prevent further problems.

Additionally, if it makes a difference to you, the UI for StableBit DrivePool is a lot cleaner and much less cluttered. It's very simple to use.

And it support remote support, so you don't have to log into the system to manage the pool (or StableBit Scanner).

And StableBit DrivePool leaves the drives as they were, and allows you to use them for other purposes. Where as Drive Bender takes over the disks and forces you to use them for the pool.

But both use a file based storage method to pool the disks.

ikon

Scanner doesn't access the disks all the time. It scans periodically.

I haven't noticed that Scanner particularly affects performance. There must be some, but I haven't really noticed it. Scanner also has profiles. For example, if you pick the Server profile, it will only scan during off hours.

Scanner does read SMART data, and it will make recommendations based on what it finds.

oj88

I'm a DriveBender user and have been extremely happy with it. Although latter versions includes SMART capability, I seldom use them and instead, rely on Hard Disk Sentinel for surface tests and a bit more in-depth drive analysis. Both products, although made by different developers, are fully compatible with each other but lacks integration. Both products also offers email notification.

[Devil's Advocate Mode OFF]

That said, the thing going for DrivePool+Scanner, at least for me, is their ability to initiate a backup/file move upon detection of an impending drive failure, among many other features. Since both DrivePool and Scanner are made by the same people, they have better integration. I probably would've gotten this solution if I didn't already have a DriveBender license.

• Like 2

awraynor

I tried both and they are both fine products. I stuck with DrivePool because I find the interface more intuitive. I've actually

had a few frustrations with Scanner so that is not a plus for me. Nonetheless the performance for DrivePool has been

very good for me. Either way you will get a very good product. 

Drashna Jaelre

Scanner doesn't access the disks all the time. It scans periodically.

I haven't noticed that Scanner particularly affects performance. There must be some, but I haven't really noticed it. Scanner also has profiles. For example, if you pick the Server profile, it will only scan during off hours.

Scanner does read SMART data, and it will make recommendations based on what it finds.

StableBit Scanner also will STOP scanning if the disks get too warm, if there is other activity on the disk, or even enough activity on the same controller. Specifically to prevent any performance impact.

@oj88:  As I said before, the "added" SMART data stuff in Drive Bender is actually powered by a "lite" version of HD Sentinel. So if you have the full version, you should have access to more options.

• Integrated S.M.A.R.T. monitoring out of the box, using the "best in class" Hard Disk Sentinel engine

Also, while it is a good product (HD Sentinel), it doesn't output the SMART data in a very meaningful way... and I've always HATED the "health" percentage, because it's inaccurate by it's very nature.  Also, I hate try icons. They clutter up space... and unfortunately, with everything I run on my desktop, I have about 20.... (I wish I were joking). So a bunch more just makes it worse.

And yes, both are fine products. you'll be happy regardless of which way you go.