RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VMWare HyperVisor on G8

Brad-Pea

Hi All,

As a test I installed HyperVisor onto 1x 500GB disk in raid 0 ..

All was fine, I then managed to pick up a further 3x500GB disks (Same Make and Model)

I went into the Storage Controller and deleted the old array and set up a new array and logical volume in raid 10 for the 4 disks to make 1TB usable in total.

Now I have gone to install HyperVisor again but when it gets to the install I am seeing all 4 individual disks .. Shouldn't I be seeing 1 volume of 1TB ?

What am I doing wrong ? Screen shot attached.

Cheers.

vmware.JPG

Hi All,

As a test I installed HyperVisor onto 1x 500GB disk in raid 0 ..

All was fine, I then managed to pick up a further 3x500GB disks (Same Make and Model)

I went into the Storage Controller and deleted the old array and set up a new array and logical volume in raid 10 for the 4 disks to make 1TB usable in total.

Now I have gone to install HyperVisor again but when it gets to the install I am seeing all 4 individual disks .. Shouldn't I be seeing 1 volume of 1TB ?

What am I doing wrong ? Screen shot attached.

Cheers.

Hi,

since the B120i is not a true hardware raid, and software RAID is not supported by Vmware, I think that's the reason.

Anyway, did you use the custom OEM HP ESXi installer?

I suggest you to buy a reliable USB drive or SD card, use the internal slot on the board and install ESXi to it.

Hi,

since the B120i is not a true hardware raid, and software RAID is not supported by Vmware, I think that's the reason.

Anyway, did you use the custom OEM HP ESXi installer?

I suggest you to buy a reliable USB drive or SD card, use the internal slot on the board and install ESXi to it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply 

At the time of my first post I was using a a standard ESXi installer.

A little while after I got hold of the HP Custom ESXi installer and that found my raid volume no problem :) 

Cheers.

Brad.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply 

At the time of my first post I was using a a standard ESXi installer.

A little while after I got hold of the HP Custom ESXi installer and that found my raid volume no problem :)

Cheers.

Brad.

Good to know. But still consider using the SD card or USB drive for ESXi, imagine if something happens with your ESXi installation, you will lose your entire datastore while reinstalling it.

Good to know. But still consider using the SD card or USB drive for ESXi, imagine if something happens with your ESXi installation, you will lose your entire datastore while reinstalling it.

Ah good point - I think I thought it would just be good to have the ESXi install and datastore Raid protected ? So if I ever had a disk fail it would not take out my environment.

I think if I did need to reinstall ESXi though it would know I had a datastore and preserve it, or am I wrong ? 

If I went down the microsd route, and that failed ... Would I just need to reinstall ESXi, connect my datastore and then add all the VM's to the inventory ?

Cheers.

Ah good point - I think I thought it would just be good to have the ESXi install and datastore Raid protected ? So if I ever had a disk fail it would not take out my environment.

I think if I did need to reinstall ESXi though it would know I had a datastore and preserve it, or am I wrong ? 

If I went down the microsd route, and that failed ... Would I just need to reinstall ESXi, connect my datastore and then add all the VM's to the inventory ?

Cheers.

Yes, you only need to reinstall ESXi, it will see the existing datastore (VMFS partition) during the installation and preserve it.

Just be aware to pick the SD or USB drive for the new insttal and after the initial configuration (password, networking), you only need to readd the VM's to the inventory.