RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Socket 775 mobo recommendations needed

dvn

I'm looking for recommendations for a new Socket 775 mobo for my Q9550 PC. That's my main rig. I need something that supports AHCI, and I'd like it to have integrated graphics so I can use that for my 2nd monitor which I only use for email, Skype, and a couple other things that don't require much processing. ATX form factor is preferable, but micro-ATX is OK because I don't really have need for a lot of peripherals. Any thoughts?

Assuming you want to reuse you ram, this is a decent board with onboard video. There is not much to choose from with on-board that uses DDR2 anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128396 (Have used this one before and is a good board)

As a another alternative without the on board video.

DDR2, no on-board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372 (Have used this one before and is a good board)

Alternates:

No onboard, DDR3, USB 3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128428

Slightly higher end, no on-board, needs DDR3, USB 3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128433 (I have the DDR2 version of this (which is not made anymore) on my secndary system and I am very impressed with it.

Assuming you want to reuse you ram, this is a decent board with onboard video. There is not much to choose from with on-board that uses DDR2 anymore.

PCDoc

I am confused by your statement, almost all the Socket 775 boards I see use DDR2, did I mis-understand?

Ah OK, See that's what I missed I thought that he meant not many socket 775 boards with DDR2 memory slots.

I personally would beg to differ, as Intel, is still making everything in the Core, Core 2 and Core Quad Lines. (End of Life in the socket 775 are Pentium 4, Pentium D and Some of the Celeron based 775 chips) And if you go to some place like FRY's or CompUSA there are plenty of socket 775 Boards to choose from. Yes I would agree that it is the lower one in the line with the 1156 & 1366 being the New Fresh Kids on the Team, but the Socket 775 is still a produced and readily available alternative and with that being said, for something that sit in a basement, corner or maybe behind a desk, I still think that socket 775 is a great option.

Now if you are building your workstation, I would NOT recommend socket 775, I would say go 1156. I personally like the 1156 over the 1366, as you have dual channel ram instead of triple channel, bench marks have proven that the Triple channel only gets a 3 to 5% increase in memory performance. Plus its cheap to only have to buy 2 sticks at a time instead of three!

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those!

Guest no-control

Kind of off topic but the main reason to go 1366 is not triple channel RAM is the extra 16 lanes of PCIe. If you're running multiple GPUs this is a big thing. Not to metion with 1366 you can upgrade to hexa core and eventually octo core. Also with some decent bargins a 1366 can be cheaper than an 1156.

But I hear ya. 775 isn't at end of life yet, but it is at end of retail life. A core i3 will pretty much spank every C2D and C2Q out there in the same price range.

Let me clarify. There are still many 775 boards but newer boards use DDR3 not DDR2. Check Newegg and you will see that all the higher end and newer boards have switched to DDR3. Sorry about the confusion.