RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anybody using Lights-Out in a WHS 2011 G7 Microserver?

g725s

Just curious if anyone is using Lights-Out with their G7 Microserver with WHS 2011?

I have always had my Microserver running continuously.  There is a lot of time where it would be great if my server would sleep or hibernate.

I searched for a dedicated thread on Lights-Out and the Microserver but did not find one.  If you know of one please let me know the link. 

As long as all the drivers are installed, it ... may. A lot of server motherboards don't support the sleep states. At best, it may ONLY support hibernate, and requires a command line to enable it.

Run "powercfg /a" to list the available sleep states. If you don't have S3 or higher, then no sleep.

Also, to enable hibernate, run "powercfg /h on"

I've been running Lights-Out with WHS2011 on my N40L Microserver for a couple of years, and it works well. Don't know if that opiniion is transferable to your model? I have the family's computers and my Squeezeplayers waking up the server when required, otherwise it's allowed to hibernate.

There were a few of weird things I had to overcome in order to allow the server to hibernate, but the developer was very helpful:

• I had to have a certain graphics driver installed.
  • I have to run an automated script every so often to restart the Health Alert Service.
  • I have the Squeezeplayers place a text file on the server to tell it that one of them is turned on (I couldn't keep the server awake purely based on the data load from the Squeezeplayers).

I can expend on these if it's of any use to you (will just need to go back & remember the details!). I don't suppose it's appropriate for me to link to a rival forum, but if you look at the Lights-Out WHS2011 download page ( http://www.homeserversoftware.com/lo2011.html ), under Documentation & Support there's a link to the server forum where they do their customer support. Their guy Tinus is very thorough in advising users.

EDIT: they do a 30-day trial so I guess you've nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Good Luck!

Edited by HPLovecraft
  • Like 1

I've never heard of any complaints about linking to another forum. In particular many members use the WeGotServed forums as well. In fact, one of our mods, Drashna, is the head moderator at WeGotServed. We're all friends :)

I've never heard of any complaints about linking to another forum. In particular many members use the WeGotServed forums as well. In fact, one of our mods, Drashna, is the head moderator at WeGotServed. We're all friends :)

Excellent! :D As you've probably gathered I'm new here so didn't want to make any faux pas! I've been on a few car forums where linking to "rival" forums has been frowned upon - an attitude I've never really understood.

With that in mind I shall be less coy - the Lights-Out guys do their support as part of WeGotServed, and are excellent at replying to cries for help. You'll find the page here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/forum/299-lights-out/

OP, having looked a bit closer at your signature you also have an N40L like me. Originally I'd only looked at the post title and didn't even realise that 'G7' and N40L might be the same thing. So maybe my setup might be of use to you. Just let me know if you want any more info on the few little tweaks it took to make Lights-Out play nice on my WHS2011, I've saved all the links & info somewhere, none if it was very difficult even for a noob like me. Someone brighter than me would know why these tweaks work, but I was just happy to follow the suggestions & enjoy the results. I think Lights-Out is a great add-in (actually when I got WHS2011, I was slightly surprised those features weren't built in).

G7 refers to Generation 7, the overall name for the line of servers. N40L is a specific model of G7 server. There are also the older N36L and newer N54L models. The current generation is, as I'm sure you know, the G8.

My own belief regarding the Lights-Out features is that Microsoft believes that servers should run 24/7. My server never shuts down unless it crashes (basically, that never happens) or I shut it down for some reason. I think Microsoft felt that, if enough people wanted power down options on their server, then someone would write an add-in, which they did ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I should have mentioned this initially.  Has anyone heard of issues with Lights Out and an HP Smart Array controller?  Would there be any reason that a HP Smart Array controller would create issues with a Microserver going to hibernation?

And if it matters,  I use the BIOS-Mods BIOS from 2013 or so.  I really don't want to mess with that as all is working great right now.

Edited by g725s