RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ImTheTypeOfGuy

What did you get in the mail today?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Never mind, I was wrong about it working on my Surface. It was another forum I was thinking of.

Joe_Miner

I have no problem with IE on my phone or my Encore Mini but on my desktop I have to use Chrome to cut/paste/quote

ikon

Ah. Well, still good to know. Looks like you'll be joining me as a FF user ;)

GavinCampbell

Which specific model eSata card?

Picked up the MediaSonic HP1-SS3 in the link.  The key to this card being recommended was the fact that it had a ASMEDIA chipset.  My other card had the silicon image chipset and was constantly dropping off.  This has been working flawless since I got it.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009DUREHU/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

ikon

That's exactly the same card I got, mostly because it was the cheapest ASMedia 1061 card I could find. If I had it to do again, I probably go for the StarTech card that has a x2 PCIe interface (for the extra bandwidth) and 4 SATA ports. Only 2 ports can be active, but they can be 2 internal, 2 external, or a mix.

Jason

Thanks.  I may pick one up.  Right now I'm using a StarTech PEXESAT32 with a Marvell chipset.  Not sure how they compare?

Also - random - but does anyone else have difficulty copying and pasting text from other Windows 8 apps into their text boxes in IE on this forum?

Edited by Jason

GavinCampbell

That's exactly the same card I got, mostly because it was the cheapest ASMedia 1061 card I could find. If I had it to do again, I probably go for the StarTech card that has a x2 PCIe interface (for the extra bandwidth) and 4 SATA ports. Only 2 ports can be active, but they can be 2 internal, 2 external, or a mix.

I'm very happy.  I'm getting over 100MB transfer rates to my drovepool which sits in a MediaSonic probox.  I do have a SSD cache though on the server.  Everything is running smooth now.

My machine also has a couple more eSata ports on it but I needed this card for the port multiplier.  Otherwise I have enough ports for anything else I may add.

Drashna Jaelre

I got one of these too. Tried it on a known defective PSU. It didn't indicate anything 

I may have to spend decent money on a good one then. At least it will be write-off-able. :)

The one I bought was ~$8, so I'm not too concerned about it. Just disappointed.

Which specific model eSata card?

If I recommended it, it was an ASMedia ASM1061 based chipset. 

It's the best and most reliable card that we've found (as by we, I mean Covecube). Alex has tested a bunch of controllers extensively, as for consumer controller cards... it was the best.

More ports is always nice.

As for other chipsets, the Marvell ones aren't bad.

In fact, that's what HighPoint uses for the Rocket and RocketRAID cards.

However,they use custom firmwares... and you never want to by a Rocket model as they don't support Port Multiplication....

Also, if you're interested in it (Ikon), this may be a fun card to buy:

http://www.addonics.com/products/adms6gpx2-e.php

That's a Mini-SAS SFF-8088 connector. Buy a breakout cable, that that's 4 eSATA connections.

Alex (Covecube) bought one, IIRC, and it works pretty well. 

So, at ~$55, that's a great solution for massive storage array. :)

ikon

Thanks.  I may pick one up.  Right now I'm using a StarTech PEXESAT32 with a Marvell chipset.  Not sure how they compare?

Also - random - but does anyone else have difficulty copying and pasting text from other Windows 8 apps into their text boxes in IE on this forum?

The Marvell card should be fine. It's the Silicon Image (Sil) cards that typically cause problems.

Drashna Jaelre

The Marvell card should be fine. It's the Silicon Image (Sil) cards that typically cause problems.

They (Silicon Images) are the "Avast" of the controller card world.... So that should say something.

I've seen too many BSOD issues, both personally and in support. 

Also.... any controller card that needs to install a FILE SYSTEM FILTER in addition to the driver.... Just don't. *shudders*