RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

Router won't UPnP for WHS 2011 Remote Web Access

jmwills

Do you have an ISP supplied router?

g725s

Do you have an ISP supplied router?

No I recently purchased my router myself, a motorola surfboard sb6141, that my ISP had to verify so that it would work.

jmwills

That's the modem, not the router.

g725s

That's the modem, not the router.

Oh is that what that is LOL

brain fart.  I did not read your question well.  I guess I figured since I already stated what you ask in the very beginning of the thread that you were asking me about the modem now.

I recently bought both a new router and  modem from a store, not from my ISP.

Edited by g725s

ikon

Just to keep things clear, the sb6141 Surfboard is a cable modem, not a router. Your Asus RT-AC68R is a router. It's also a wireless access point, an Ethernet switch, a firewall, a NAT engine..... The cable modem handles the job of converting Ethernet signals into ones that are compatible with your ISP's cable system. The router handles the Ethernet stuff.

JW, I guess that means we don't need to worry about putting the Surfboard into bridge mode :)

Regarding open ports: opening any port is a risk. The only way to have zero risk is to completely disconnect from the Internet. Of course, that's not practical. As long as it's directed to a specific computer (your server), and you have a good, long (21 characters or more), complex password (letters, numbers, special characters), your risk is greatly reduced. The longer a password is, the safer you are.

The other thing to do is make sure any ports that are not specifically needed are closed: that is, they will not respond to attempts to connect to them.

I'm not sure why you can't connect to your server using RWA by using the IP address — you should be able to.

jmwills

AND CHANGE THE DEFAULT CREDENTIALS ON THE ROUTER!!!   and yes I'm screaming!

g725s

AND CHANGE THE DEFAULT CREDENTIALS ON THE ROUTER!!!   and yes I'm screaming!

Assuming by "default credentials" you mean to change the password to the router, of course I did that.

Edited by g725s

ikon

Yes, he means the password, but also the username, if possible. Be sure to use a really strong password for the router. Remember, it's the front door to your network.

g725s

Yes, he means the password, but also the username, if possible. Be sure to use a really strong password for the router. Remember, it's the front door to your network.

Yes, I've always done both of those with a fairly strong password; upper and lower case, numbers and special characters, etc.

Edited by g725s

jmwills

Not perfect.....but I've jumped onto enough unsecured wireless networks to know that about 50% of people don't chneg the credentials.  What level of encryption are you using?  Please don't say WPA.