RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacing aging EX490 with a Gen8

furtive

Hi, newbie here. I've spent the morning reading loads of threads but am looking for some advice.

I'm looking to replace my aging HP EX490 HomeServer with a Gen8. I'm looking to buy the following:

HP ProLiant Gen8 G1610T MicroServer £185 from eBuyer (minus £35 cashback)

Kingston ValueRam 8 GB 1,600 MHz DDR3 DIMM Memory Module with Thermal Sensor £56 from Amazon

Anything else I should consder getting? Is it worth getting a 128Gb SSD to put the OS on?

I am going to run iTunes and iHomeServer on it so I can stream stuff to my Apple TVs, and I'll also be running SqueezeServer on it, so need to run a flavour of Windows. I was thinking of getting Windows Server 2012 Essentials or Foundation, or maybe Windows 8.1. What would people recommend?

My EX490 has got 2 x 2Tb drives in it that I am planning to reuse in the new server. They aren't matched drives but are both WD Green I think. The EX490 runs WHS v1 currently so manages data duplication etc automatically. I assume with the Microserver I would need to run RAID1 to get the same sort of redundancy? Is it easy enough to add more drives to the RAID array in the future when I need more capacity? Is there any alternative to using RAID1 I should consider?

Finally, all the EX490 runs HP MediaCollector to automatically grab any media from PC's around the house. How can I achieve something similar with the new server?

Thanks.

I think it is worthwhile to get the SSD.

What OS you want to run depends on what you want to do. If backup of Client Computers is important, then Windows Server 2012 Essentials is a good choice IMHO.

Instead of RAID1 you might want to consider using Stablebit DrivePool. It's probably the closest thing to Drive Extender you're going to find (it does have data duplication).

I do hope, however, that data duplication is not you're only backup. Data Duplication is great, but it doesn't take care of data loss if your server is stolen, your house catches fire, or is flooded, or a power surge fries the server. A good backup strategy includes at least 3 copies of all data, with one of them stored off site.

I'd just run Windows 8.1 Pro and Stablebit Drivepool.  I used to run Server 2012R2, and also WHS2011, but now I run 8.1 Pro which does everything just as well, uses less RAM and also uses a little less power.

Definitely get the SSD, or just a low power spinner like a WD Blue 500GB.  

Great, thanks both. I'll look into Drivepool as that sounds like a good solution for me and will get Win 8.1 Pro and the SSD

I already back everything up offsite via Crashplan as well as to my existing WHS, and all my music and photos are stored in the cloud as well, so no worries on that front.

I run 8.1 Pro, and I just use the free Crashplan app.  That's set up to back up the server to the 4TB drive, and all my clients run Crashplan and back up to that drive also.  It's not as good as the proper MS backup supplied with Server 2012 Essentials, but I find it a lot more reliable.  It mean I can back up my parent's PC across the internet too. 

• Like 1

Both backup strategies will work fine. I use the WHS one for a couple of reasons:

1. it provides Bare Metal Restore;
  2. it has been completely reliable for me;
  3. it has Single Instance Storage. This reduces the amount of disk space taken up by my Client Computer backups by more than 80%.

It seems you have a backup plan that's working for you; that's what really matters.

I'd just run Windows 8.1 Pro and Stablebit Drivepool.  I used to run Server 2012R2, and also WHS2011, but now I run 8.1 Pro which does everything just as well, uses less RAM and also uses a little less power.

Everything except for the client backup solution.

Which if you buy from a 3rd party will most you a minimum of ~$1000 (which makes Server Essentials look cheap!).

Finally, all the EX490 runs HP MediaCollector to automatically grab any media from PC's around the house. How can I achieve something similar with the new server?

If you want the media collector, Viros @ We Got Served has an Add-in that will actually do that (and do it well).

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/28517-whs-2011-media-collector/

But it does require Windows Home Server 2011, or Windows Server Essentials (Server 2012 or Server 2012R2). So it's something to consider.

As for storage, StableBit DrivePool. ;)

There is Drive Bender as well, but I'm highly biased (check my signature).

Also "We" have a guide on how to migrate the Drive Extender pool to StableBit DrivePool.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

Or you can contact us directly (https://stablebit.com/Contact) and we can set up a remote support session and do this for you.

Everything except for the client backup solution.

Which if you buy from a 3rd party will most you a minimum of ~$1000 (which makes Server Essentials look cheap!).

Agreed, though for my purposes, Crashplan's free 'backup to a folder' works.  I don't have any need for bare metal restores, as there's not really anything on my client PCs.