RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

Connecting to a VPN service

ikon

So DD-WRT can direct traffic to a specific LAN port on a router? I've used DD-WRT a fair bit but never ran into that feature. 'Course, I never looked for it either ;)

GavinCampbell

So DD-WRT can direct traffic to a specific LAN port on a router? I've used DD-WRT a fair bit but never ran into that feature. 'Course, I never looked for it either ;)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Policy_Based_Routing

Thats an example of doing some source based routing. 

Its not heavily documented hence why I had to do a lot of searching to just to see if it was possible.  But it looks like it can be done.

I think it all needs to be done via the shell though and modifying scripts.

ikon

Never got into any DD-WRT shell work or scripts.

Poppapete

Ikon,

You idea re the VM is out of the box and I really like it since I already have a win8 VM running that I use to test suspicious software.

GavinCampbell,

My preferred provider of the VPN service (an Australian Company, vpnsecureme) has already suggested I do exactly as you suggest. Here is his reply to my query.

"

On January 13, 2015 09:24 Shayne . wrote:

Hello

You will need to download and install http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

You can setup two wireless networks on a DD-WRT router allowing one to be the VPN and the other to be through your normal ISP is that the type of config you wish?

if you set it up on the router you wont need software installed on your computers.

once you have the router firmware installed please contact us and we can guide you on how to setup the VPN

Shayne.

oj88

That is very similar to what I originally wanted to achieve. I wanted to collapse the OpenVPN router to a function within pfSense, so instead of maintaining two routers, I'll only have pfSense routing traffic between the regular path and VPN based on certain routing policies. I've tried it a few times but It's not for the faint of heart, given my lack of experience in the field of FreeBSD. There are very few docs floating around about the subject but most are already out of date. My VPN provider also didn't officially support pfSense so I'm generally stuck with a two-router arranement.

But it does present one advantage; troubleshooting is easier when network elements are modular.

Poppapete

I agree. I think policy routing traffic between 2 different paths is fraught with danger especially with my lack of expertise in this area. I am sticking with 2 ip addresses and 2 routers - effectively 2 separate LAN's.

I did try to load DD-WRT onto the RT-N66U. After 4 hours I gave up and tried loading the latest ASUS firmware and gave up on it. My wife called me for dinner (supper) and an hour later I went back to find the router working perfectly with the latest version of the ASUS firmware. (Lots of new stuff in there as the old firmware was 3 years old). Seems I just did not wait long enough for the router to reboot after the firmware update.  Most tell you it will take 10 minutes or more but others say wait 60 minutes which seems to be the case. There are plenty of instructions out there of exactly how to do it, all slightly different. Now to gather my strength and try again. The VPN host service will supply an array of routers preloaded with Tomato or DD-WRT but that is the cowards way out. :unsure:

I did ask the guy at the service if ikons idea re using a VM would work and his reply.

That should work also

Shayne.

So I will try that first as soon as I get the DD-WRT loaded.