RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

Connecting to a VPN service

ikon

I was just thinking about this. Since it has WiFi, you don't need it, but let's pretend for a minute that it doesn't. Another way to do this would be to have a VM on your Desktop. You configure the OS in the VM to use the alternate gateway, and have an IP on the 2nd subnet of course.

Thoughts?

oj88

But that would mean that he has to maintain two (2) Windows instances. Would that be kind of a hassle? I personally would want to maintain a single environment to access both local and US-geolocked sites.

ikon

Sure, it would require 2 OS instances, but I don't find that a particular impediment. Both instances can store their data in the same place, so shared data is not a problem. Many people already run multiple browsers. To me, this is just a small extension of that.

oj88

Just saying. Of course I can think of certain scenarios where two OS instances would be desirable. But doing it just so you can have one "facing" Australia and another towards the US, seems like overkill, when a simple network tweak is all that's needed to allow him to connect to both using just a single OS instance.

But then, I'd let Poppapete decide on that. :)

ikon

I'm sure Poppapete will go with the wireless solution. My idea was to address situations where someone has no wireless in place.

GavinCampbell

If you are using DD-WRT and OpenVPN I think it may be possible to route data from a specic wireless network or specific port through a VPN tunnel.  May be complicated to set up at first but simpler overall with a single router.

I was looking into doing something similar but wanted to only filter specific data through the VPN and everything started going over my head from that point.

May be worth looking into.

ikon

Would this involve specifying that certain web sites or domains go through the VPN link?

GavinCampbell

Would this involve specifying that certain web sites or domains go through the VPN link?

From what I was gathering at the time you could specify a specific port and route it.  So anything plugged into port 1 could go through VPN.  The other 3 ports use normal.  It required messing with the routing table on the router itself. 

I only started doing research on it and never got as far as actually implementing or trying it.  Was saving that for a day when i have time.  But it was looking promising.

Like I said, my main goal was to filter certain traffic only.  So for example I could filter all video streaming traffic through the vpn and keep everything else out.  That way the VPN wouldn't slow down my regular stuff.

ikon

By "port" do you mean NIC, or are you referring to ports on an Ethernet switch, or something else?

GavinCampbell

By "port" do you mean NIC, or are you referring to ports on an Ethernet switch, or something else?

Referring to the port on the router itself that you are running dd-wrt on.