RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Trig0r

Hyper-V storage

Trig0r

Having a bit of a play with a handful of VM's on my Gen8 with an old SAN box, whats the best way to set the storage out?

Was thinking either an iscsi lun for each machine, or, a single larger iscsi lun and then just add that to the server as a large single drive n stuck the vhdx's on there.

I'm thinking the second option might be best as I setup vm's on my Surface Pro from time to time so it would be easy to migrate from there to the server and back again....

Suggestions/comment...

jmwills

I think it all depends on the purpose of the VM.  if you have a SQL server running as a VM then I'd put it on the fastest thing availaable. 

Trig0r

Well the box has 6x300gb 15k drives in it, R6 array, have set it up as a single large drive and then just iscsi to it and dropping the vhdx's on there for now, will do some speed tests once its moved all the data over and I've reconfigured the VM's to use the new storage.

jmwills

That should be plenty fast for any home testing or applications.

Trig0r

Yeah thats what I thought, also easier to copy stuff to and from one big drive over 4/5 seperate luns.

jmwills

I run my main Virtual machines from a RAID1 consisting of four 256 gig SSD drives.

Drashna Jaelre

I am using a single 512GB SSD, with data deduplication enabled on it. Works fantastically for me, but may not be optimal for your setup (depending on what that is).