RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Onboard and M1015

NateN34

Hello,

Just have a quick question. Basically I am running the 4x 3TB drives in AHCI  and my OS SSD in the optical drive location. Now I want to put the OS drive into software RAID1 with another SSD, but have no more ports...

I was thinking of getting an IBM M1015 and flashing it to IT mode for it's HBA function. Problem with this, is that it does not support TRIM with SSDs....

So the only option and question is: Can I run a HBA card (for HDDs) and use the onboard SATA controller (for SSDs) at the same time? There would be no conflicts? Just need to know before I blow about $150 on this.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

Edited by NateN34

I'm pretty sure that the M1015 does support TRIM for drives connected to it. I'd have to double check, but I swear it should.

However, depending on the SSD, it may not matter. If it's doing active garbage collection, it shouldn't matter if TRIM is supported or not, IIRC.

SandForce controllers do active garbage collection.

TRIM isn't important.  I'm not sure any recent drives actually need it, as they do most of their garbage collection automatically in firmware.

If I understand correctly, it could be that TRIM and SMART only works when it is configured as a straight SATA. But when it is configured with in implementation of RAID, TRIM or SMART doesn't work.

I have a flashed M1015 that can passthru both, but then I don't have any RAID configured on it.

If I understand correctly, it could be that TRIM and SMART only works when it is configured as a straight SATA. But when it is configured with in implementation of RAID, TRIM or SMART doesn't work.

I have a flashed M1015 that can passthru both, but then I don't have any RAID configured on it.

Yes and no.

The M1015 with the IR (RAID) firmware can still pass through the disks directly to the OS. This should still support TRIM and SMART.

And to be clear, most modern SSDs do not require TRIM support anymore, as the garbage collection is done on the firmware level now, instead of being triggered at the OS level. This means that they can be put into a RAID without trashing the drives (in theory).

And to be clear, most modern SSDs do not require TRIM support anymore, as the garbage collection is done on the firmware level now, instead of being triggered at the OS level. This means that they can be put into a RAID without trashing the drives (in theory).

That's what I figured. 

Thanks for your help everyone. Based on that, I decided to go ahead and get the M1015 and another SSD.