RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ACER Revo Volume Problem

awraynor

My friend recently purchased a Revo for use as an HTPC. He has a vexing problem related to audio output.

He is trying to output through the HDMI port to his HDTV. By a fluke he discovered it works great if WMP is

operating, but otherwise nothing. Apparently he doesn't hear system sounds either. He told me drivers are

up to date, default device selection correct. I haven't seen it myself so that is about all the info I have.

Any ideas?

If I am not mistaken he will need to use the SPDIF out or the optical out to his receiver/tv. I think it's a DRM issue. DO a search on hte forums I know many people had the same problem.

SPDIF will work however the issues is with the software he is using to play back movies. If the player does not support audio pass through via HDMI, you will not get any sound. What kind of software player is he using and what are you trying to play?

I will have to call him and ask. He isn't on the forum as he doesn't use WHS, but I am trying

to convert him.

A few clarifications:

1. windows sounds don't work at all

2. all drives are up to date

3. audio works through the standard audio out jack

4. just not through the hdmi port

5. audio works through wmp, but not wmc

Just e-mailed him about what specific audio types. Feel bad as I suggested

the Revo as an option for his HTPC.

Just read through 12 pages of reviews on Newegg. 2 had problem with HDMI audio out and 1 with HDMI video. They all returned them to Newegg after Acer tech support was useless.

Could be bad hardware but I would still bet on configuration or software. Make sure he has set the default audio to the HDMI device. Most systems that pass audio over HDMI also have and additional sound source such as "High Definition Audio" so you must select the HDMI sound source. The fact that it works through some players and not other convinces me that codecs are the root of the problem. Typically hardware either works or it does not. It might faster and easier to back up the unit, then do a fresh install on only load hardware drivers and see what happens. If you can, include some snapshots of the audio configuration screens it might help me see how the system is configured.

I appreciate your input and I have forwarded the post to him. Obviously you know you your HTPC's and I hope

he can get it figured out. H