Sign in to follow this  
oj88

ESET SS8 on WHS2011 0x50 BSOD

oj88

SS8_zps1083a1ae.png

Good day everyone. Thanks for all your insights. I've managed to reinstall SS8 but then, disabled Personal Firewall with everything else left to defaults prior to rebooting.

It booted up successfully.

All seems well now. Since this server isn't internet-facing, I think Windows Firewall will suffice. Anyway, I've got SS8's Botnet and IDS protection enabled for good measure. I would have to live with the big orange "!" warning on the upper right and on the Windows Notification Area, though (due to the said component being disabled).

I may dig deeper into this in the future but I'm already 99% happy now that the server is up.

Thanks again gents!

ikon

Excellent. You should probably really enable the Personal Firewall and try a reboot. If it BSODs again, boot up in Safe Mode and disable it again.

awraynor

AVG caused critical failures on my Win8 box and Avast caused problems with my DrivePool trial on Win8. 

Guess that's what you get when you try to make these programs bloated suites.

oj88

Excellent. You should probably really enable the Personal Firewall and try a reboot. If it BSODs again, boot up in Safe Mode and disable it again.

I will do that the next chance I have. But already, I think that the personal firewall is too much work with much little to gain compared to the stock Windows firewall. I wanted just NOD32 (also on sale) but they were out of stock at the time. The SS8 was available and only an additional $4.

Drashna Jaelre

AVG caused critical failures on my Win8 box and Avast caused problems with my DrivePool trial on Win8. 

Guess that's what you get when you try to make these programs bloated suites.

We specifically started signing ALL of our files because of Avast... And they STILL flag our files! So they have got to be doing just a hash check of the files. Which strikes me as an absolutely horrible way to check for viruses (though it does account for the horrible resource usage). 

Also, if you have the crash dump, I'd recommend seeing if you can send it to ESET's customer service. It may help them to fix the issue in the future.

ikon

Well, that's the first time I've heard of AVAST giving false positives..................NOT!!!

Drashna Jaelre

Well, that's the first time I've heard of AVAST giving false positives this week.

There. Fixed. :P