RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESET SS8 on WHS2011 0x50 BSOD

oj88

Just purchased a 2-year ESET Smart Security subscription. Boxed copies were on sale so I grabbed the opportunity.

After rebooting, it BSOD'd. It was throwing a STOP 0x50 with PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA.

It's a weekend here and no chance of getting anyone from ESET on the phone. Any tips out there on how to proceed from the folks who got into a similar predicament and survived?

Ask me anything you need.

From ESET's web page:   Operating Systems:

Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
Microsoft® Windows® 8
Microsoft® Windows® 7
Microsoft® Windows® Vista
Microsoft® Windows® XP

I don't see WHS2011 in that list, do you?  

This is why you don't install consumer-grade junk software on a server OS.  It's probably installing firewalls and god knows what else on there.

Edited by HellDiverUK

It's a retail box with a CD and serial key. I think it came as. V7.x and as I ran the installer, it downloaded the latest v8.x. I have gone as far as installing, activating, updated the antivirus sigs, scan for viruses and dance with the firewall settings... everything's cool. But as soon as I restart the server, seconds after the desktop is shown with the ESET spalshscreen, it will BSOD. Only way around it was to boot up in safe mode.

As I type this, I'm trying to uninstall SS8 inside safe mode. I just need to see the server bootup normally and go from there.

UPDATE: Uninstalled and my server is back to normal. Though, I'd really want to have SS8 for more security.... aside from the fact that I already bought it, even though it only cost me Php899 (approx. US$20)

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. It's 1am and this fiasco really took out all my reserves.

Thank you for chiming in.

I install ESET products a lot and rarely have any issues, most of that is Eset Antivirus though, and not the smart security, as I feel most of the time software firewalls hurt more than they help.

What antivirus were you running prior? could there be traces of it still installed?

If it comes to it, you should be able to install Eset Antivirus using the key you purchased for Smart Security. You can download it here: http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/2/

I am running the File Security version on my WHS2011 box, but I have several clients running the standard Antivirus without any issues.

I install ESET products a lot and rarely have any issues, most of that is Eset Antivirus though, and not the smart security, as I feel most of the time software firewalls hurt more than they help.

yup, exactly why I suggested trying to install one module at a time. It very well could be the firewall, but there's no way to know for sure without testing each module separately.

Unfortunately, the bugcheck (BSOD) that you posted is commonly caused by antivirus. Short of contacting ESET and getting this resolved, I'm not entirely sure what you can do here other than just uninstalling it.