RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 R2 Datacenter cannot access Win8.1 Pro Network Shares

kylejwx

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter machine that cannot access the networks shares of my main Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop.  The Server can access network shares on my Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro and the Dell can access the Networks shares of the Desktop.

I get this message: "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

The Server can also use remote desktop to access the Desktop, it just can't see the shared folders.  Very strange issue, because obviously they can see each other on the network if Remote Desktop is working.

Any help would be appreciated. 

This sounds like exactly what the error message is saying: that the issue is with the credentials. Are you running a Domain? Are the clients joined to the Domain?

Check the Windows Credentials manager and make sure you don't have a different account cached.

Also, make sure that network discovery and sharing is turned on for BOTH systems

no domain involved here.

I don't see anything cached  in Windows Credentials.

Network discovery is on for windows 8, but off for the server.  However, the server can still see files on my Dell Venue 8 pro even with network discovery off.  I think I need to install a role or feature to turn network discovery on in Server 2012 R2.  I can do that, but it seems like I shouldn't have too.

Also, previously, I would get the error message just clicking on the computer icon of the Win8 desktop. Now however, I can click on the computer and see the names of the folders that are shared.  When I click on the folders I get a new error that says:

Windows cannot access \\RIVENDELL\01userfiles  

You do not have permission to access \\RIVENDELL\01userfiles. Contect you network administrator to request access.

I suspect you have a User ID and password in common on the server and Venue 8, but not between the server and Win8 Desktop. This is one of the things that Domains alleviate.

If you use the Credentials Manager on the server to add the User ID and password you're using on the Win8 Desktop, I suspect you will then have access.

• Like 1

Ok, I will try that next.  Upon further poking around, I went to Computer Management and looked under Sessions, and it shows that the server has been connected to the desktop for almost two hours, but that the server is using the account "Guest" to access it..

This is a screen shot taken on the desktop computer. The name of the server is "gold."

guest.JPG

Edited by kylejwx

here is a screen shot of dell venue 8 pro

The user name listed is the one that the server is using to access the dell.  That is my Microsoft account, and the same account that my desktop is using.  For some reason, when the server tries to access the desktop, it uses the guest account, but when the server tries to access dell, it uses the correct account. 

The Credential Manager idea seems to be on the right track, but it didn't work, or I just entered it wrong. :)

also, you wouldn't think this should matter, but I have connected to the Network shares on the desktop from a Mac computer, but have never connected to the Dell from a Mac. 

If I try to map a network drive to the desktop it says,

The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password.  To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.

notguest.PNG

Potentially Resolved!

I went into Sessions on the desktop (where it was logged in as a guest), and clicked "close session."

Back on the server, everything instantly started working.  Could the Mac have accessed it as a guest and held the shares captive to the guest account even though it has been days and both the pc and mac have rebooted since then?

Try mapping a drive using the IP address of the Desktop.

Also, you can often get rid of the "already mapped" issue by using a CMD window. In the window, type NET USE to find the mapped drives. Then type NET USE X: /DELETE, where X: is the letter of the drive you want to remove.

Potentially Resolved!

I went into Sessions on the desktop (where it was logged in as a guest), and clicked "close session."

Back on the server, everything instantly started working.  Could the Mac have accessed it as a guest and held the shares captive to the guest account even though it has been days and both the pc and mac have rebooted since then?

I guess it's possible.