RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

if you like bare metal backup, you better have newer clients...

nrf

folks, I have been slowly transitioning from 2011 to 2012  R2 Essentials Experience.

I am a big believer in bare metal restores - I have at times done multiple such restores within a single day.

It is also a great way to grow someones disk without having to fuss too much.

In any case, the 'secret requirement' of windows 8.x and windows 10 is the availability of date execution protection, which in a 32 bit cpu requires PAE.

I have a number of older laptops that are working fine with win 7 starter (I am trying to conserve my Technet activations and I have a OEM key for that version)

since they can't even hold over 2gb of ram, it is no surprise that the CPUs don't have PAE.

I have attempted to initiate bare metal recovery on two of them, in one case booting over the network, and the other with a USB key.

both were unable to work because of this lack of NX/PAE. over the network you get the old 'must reboot' message like win8 gave when you tried to

load on an incompatible machine, with the USB key it instead told me to use an installation cd and run 'repair'.

so I heard lots of chit-chat on the homeserver podcast and sometimes intermingled in gadget geeks, this issue is one possible reason one might

want to stay on WHS instead of moving up.

of course your mileage may vary. I don't have a bunch of new tablets or win8 boxes so it is important to me.

I will be keeping my 2011 for 'legacy clients' until the last one becomes unimportant to me.

it is not a total waste as I also run GeniusVision on the old guy...

nrf

PS: anyone know of a 1GHz CPU with NX/PAE that could actually run win 10 as advertised?

how about something in 2012r2 essentials stating that the clients must have it to do bare metal restore?

Is this a function of PAE or of Starter 7? Has it ever been possible to backup/restore Starter 7 using WHS? Have you done this with WHS2011?

In any case, I believe there is an alternative. Assuming you have at least one newer computer, you could do the restores using that computer. All you have to do is move the HDD you want to restore to from the older computer to the newer one temporarily.

Well, if you uninstall the Windows ADK, remove the boot images and then install the WIndows 7 ADK, you should be able to build the images with the older version of WinPE, which should eliminate the issue.

Also, as for CPUs, for just 1GHz range? Not really. Atom CPUs maybe.

But even the lowest end Celeron is in the 2+GHz range.

Additionally, you can cheat here. the restore wizard resides on the server itself, and if you're careful, you can run it there and restore the disk.

"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientRestore\RestoreCDinit.exe"

If you want, I can see about building a Win7 based image for you.

(it's fairly easy to do, if you know how... *cough* stablebit scanner offline *cough*)

OK, I'll bite: you can build a Win7 image using Stablebit Scanner?

WinPE, specifically. Should be able to do so with the Win 7 version, but I know for certain that it works with the Win 8.1 version of WinPE. j

The biggest issues is licensing...

Additionally, you can cheat here. the restore wizard resides on the server itself, and if you're careful, you can run it there and restore the disk.

"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientRestore\RestoreCDinit.exe"

That is the best way to do it in my mind, even without this issue. I always felt it was the best end user experience.

That is the best way to do it in my mind, even without this issue. I always felt it was the best end user experience.

Definitely. Pop a drive into a USB3 toaster, and run the restore. :)

wow! quite a flurry of traffic here! 

having to remove the drive reduces the convenience factor... 

and yes, whs2011 will back up 3rdworld win7 just fine. 

running "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientRestore\RestoreCDinit.exe" on r2 essentials seems to produce no effect after uac 

I think a reasonable long term strategy would be to slip out the winpe from under this and slide in one from win7, are there already

some published directions for this? being able to restore over the network seems valuable