RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Difference/Benefits between the iLo Standard and iLo Advanced

xhemp

Hello guys,

I am new here but have learned a lot reading the forums until I finally subscribed.

I just got myself a Microserver Gen8 (had a N40L before) and I just want to understand the main differences and/or benefits of purchasing an Advanced iLo license. Although I read on the HP site, I couldn't really understand the differences. For example, it says there's no Remote Console access but with the Standard License I was able to open a Java applet and console to my server. Am I getting this all wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Eryck

Biggest benefit I've found is the remote console post POST.  with standard license that comes with the gen8, after the server POSTs it'll kick you out.

I got mine off ebay for $26 and works just fine.  Not concerned about the support options.

ToyCeli22 / schoondoggy, thanks! Appreciate the input.

Just found out that it allows you to use remote console but after 30 seconds, it kicks you out indeed :)

• 2 years later...

As a relative newbie can I just clarify the iLo options in layman's terms please. If I stick with the standard iLo that comes with my Gen8 and do not purchase an upgrade licence, after boot I cannot access my Gen8 over my home network using my PC. To do this I must attach a mouse/keyboard/monitor to my server ?

I am really keen to access my server over my home network from my PC so need to make sure I've got this right.

Many thanks

Chris

If you have the base iLo you can remote to the server for about 30 seconds after POST before it kicks you out, once its booted you can always use Remote Desktop/Teamviewer/VNC etc to view things.

You can still bring up the iLo web portal and power the server on/off etc even on base.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer to what was probably a very simple question. As long as I can Remote Desktop into my Gen8 over my Home Network I will be a happy beginner. I have been researching the Gen8 for 2 weeks now, up to 12 hours a day reading forums and I'm down to my last 2 or 3 questions before buying one. That's one question crossed off. Thanks again.