HellDiverUK

OwnCloud. Anyone using it?

HellDiverUK

I've just set up OwnCloud on my server, which I was planning on using for sharing a few photos and the like.  Some photos for forum posts, and some for sharing with family.  

I'm not sure if I should deploy it, though, as I'm wholly confident about security.  Something makes me feel a little nervous about opening a port to my server.

Is OwnCloud safe?  I've heard little about it, which I'm assuming is a good thing?

Drashna Jaelre

I've been using it for a while.

As for security, I'm not sure about that. However, it's always a good idea to force everything to use HTTPS when you have the option, and OwnCloud works fine over HTTPS.

However, it's entirely PHP based, so you can audit the code if you want. In fact, they welcome it, and do have links to contribute to it.

My only grip with it is that the newest update broke LDAP authentication, apparently.

Jatheon

Some people are comparing Google drive and OwnCloud. So that should be enough to me to start using OwnCloud. The only difference is OwnCloud has the unlimited storage. 

awraynor

OneDrive does too; oh that's right. 

Drashna Jaelre

Some people are comparing Google drive and OwnCloud. So that should be enough to me to start using OwnCloud. The only difference is OwnCloud has the unlimited storage. 

Lies.

OwnCloud is limited by how much storage space you have.

Additionally, the newer versions REQUIRE linux. There is no longer Windows support.  Which is sad, as it means I can no longer run it. And I've not found a suitable replacement for it.

Kazz

Resurrecting this thread to, in essence, re-ask the question. Owncloud is now up to version 9.

I've just finished consolidating to old Windows-based servers into a single Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS with 4 3TB drives in a RAIDZ with ZFS. Now I want to have pictures and videos people have on their phones and tablets automatically upload them to the server when they hit the wireless in the building. I currently have no desire to let the outside in (or the inside out, for that matter).

Experience? Suggestions/Recommendations?

Otherwise, I'll be moving forward with this very soon.

Thanks!

Drashna Jaelre

Other than the fact that I've had consistent issues upgrading OwnCloud each and every time (centOS7), there should be no issues with doing this. 

Just don't forward the ports externally, and use a local IP address or domain name (make sure it resolves properly first), and you should be fine doing this. 

Though, a big part of OwnCloud is being able to access it remotely. And as long as you secure it, there shouldn't be an issue. LetsEncrypt has free signed SSL certificates that you can use, so that is an option. 

• Like 1

Kazz

Thanks very much. I abhor wireless phone data contract usage but want the moving of pictures and videos from a phone to in-house storage to be much less painful. Perhaps OwnCloud's overkill. But the potential for remote access and usage is also a selling point.

• Like 1

ucliker

I run Owncloud and have been for a while now. I have run it from FreeNAS, and unRAID so far and it's great. I can access it from the app on my phone etc just like dropbox or google drive. I was using OneDrive for everything until I received an email from Microsoft saying they were downgrading how much storage you would have and that I need to migrate my data before its gone.