RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can not get NIC drivers to work for Restore CD

zeeke

First off, this is pissing me off. I've been trying to restore my HTPC for a couple of hours now and the restore cd just won't find my homeserver. I've narrowed it down to that it is the Realtex RTL8168/8111 driver that is missing. I have located the drivers on the backup and copied those over to a USB key and I have downloaded two versions of windows server 2003 drivers for this realtek onboard chipset but no luck. I will try a pci nic but if that fails I just have to bite the bullet and reinstall.

If the homeserver restore isn't working I just don't see the point. Right now I am seriously considering spending the money and going all Apple..

There is also an other solution, but it's more tricky, depends how comfortably far your willing to go,

If it's possible, remove the drive from the PC, put it in an usb enclosure attach it to the server and run the Client Restore software from the server at c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\clientrestorewizare.exe, then put the drive back into your PC.

Tim did a blog post here, http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/01/20/pc-hard-drive-restore-from-windows-home-server-to-a-usb-drive/ if you don't have a USB enclosure, you can put the PC drive directly into the server, just don't add it to the pool. Important thing is to make sure you are restoring to the right drive, not one of your WHS drives.

Thanks DH, but I got it working. Downloaded about every driver from realtek and the Gigabyte site and it finally accepted the driver. Personally I think it was the HTPC that got scared when I screamed at it and threatened to replace it with a Mac Mini :)

I also have restore issues with my MSI Wind Netbook that uses a Realtek device.

It can see that my server is there, but it won't restore from there. At this

point I've just given up on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have restore issues with my MSI Wind Netbook that uses a Realtek device.

It can see that my server is there, but it won't restore from there. At this

point I've just given up on it.

I have had the same sort of problem with my HP DV5. The restore Cd seemed to actually shut the network card down (also a Realtek.) Eventually I took the drive out and placed it in my desktop.

Once the restore was done I returned it to the laptop