RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Onedrive as a service?

Jason

Has anyone successfully setup Microsoft OneDrive as a service on the server?  I currently have mine triggered by the task scheduler on system startup.  Once I Remote Desktop into the server OneDrive is running, but after I logoff of that session, the task stops.  I'd prefer to run as a service rather than keeping the user account logged in if possible...

I like that logging out an account (vs disconnecting an open RDP session) will stop/close run away processes should they occur at times vs. having to completely restart the server.

Thanks.

On the scheduleds task, there should be an option along the lines of "run whether user is logged in or not". 

Make sure that's checked. It wil lthen prompt for credentials. use the account in question, and then close it.

This should, in theory, allow you to run it without logging in.

This is what I do for my various python apps, and for utorrent. Works great. But it may not work for OneDrive... as Microsoft is weird about stuff like that.

Unfortunately task manager didn't work for me with onedrive. The moment I logged out of my server RDP session, OD would stop. I since went with an app called AlwaysUp which essentially allows you to setup almost any app as a service. Solved this issue and is sure to come in handy in future.

Correct. It appears to run on startup. But once I RDP into the box and log off that RDP session, the OD task closes on logoff. Very odd.

• 4 months later...

Followed the normal process and setup per above, and wasn't syncing for me too, until I remembered I had to restart the WHS to get it to start :-). Appears to be working since.