RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Waiting on delivery of Gen 8, Have questions

ersen.o

I was looking for a nas drive and decided it was cheaper and better t get a gen 8 microserver

for now i just want to install xpenology on it and use it as a server for my XBMC so i can keep my pc off

ive been reading alot about it getting ready for when it arrives but i have not found a direct guide on what i need todo to get Xpenology on it?

can anyone help

from what i gathered when i receive it, i plug in my monitor, keyboard and and update all the bios e.t.c before i do anything

then i follow on screen instructions to install ESXi?

then i have no idea what i do next, im not a dummy when it comes to computers, im just new to the network side of things!

is there a certain version i need to download? 

sorry if this has been asked before, but i have not seen a direct guide for the Gen 8

I don't understand where ESXi comes into the picture. I have an experimental XPenology configuration that boots from a USB flash drive, but it doesn't use ESXi.

Here's a link to a thread I started about my experience: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8401-ikons-xpenology-experience, and a direct link to the guide I used to install XPenology: http://cyanlabs.net/Thread-Installing-Synology-DSM-without-USB-or-ESXi .

Thanks alot guys, that helped me alot :) it comes tomorrow i let you know how it goes!

Edited by ersen.o

Just be aware that XPEnology seems to be unsupported, and doesn't support DSM5.1.  The guys who wrote and support it seem to have abandoned it.  If you don't mind staying on 5.0 then you will be OK, but it doesn't look like XPEnology will or can be updated to work with 5.1 or later.

I ran it myself, and gave up - the updating methods were terribly difficult and unreliable, and there were a few issues with the drives not spinning down when idle.

To be honest i just wanted the most basic setup, i was about to buy a standalone nas drive but figured this would be better option and i can learn with it too and use the full potential of it later for cheaper e.t.c

Ive got my USB stick ready for tomorow the the server comes i just have a few more questions :)

with that link ikon sent what version of xpenology am i installing? the guide below is the same instrcutions but for "Synology DSM 4528 with Update 2"   would this be a better option? would it work the same as the link ikon sent

sorry if this sounds dumb to you, its just a whole new field to me

thank sorted

if i reboot the server do i need to login to diskstation each time?

Login to do what? If you want to administer DiskStation then, yes, you have to log in.

Just like to say thanks alot again!

ive got it all running perfect as i wanted, i was kinda silly asking that last question, i didnt realise i could connect via iLo to the box via my iphone/pc and login to diskstation when i rebootedm, i kept pluggin in a monitor and keyboard!

but thanks again :) got myself a powerful nas drive + more for half the price of the synology i was about to buy