RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recover WSE2012 system backup from MBR disk to GPT disk

tomeruscher@gmail.com

Hello all,

I have a WSE2012 installation at work that has been operating in production for about a year. Unfortunately,  it was installed to a disk (more specifically a hardware RAID 5 array of 4 1TB disks on an Intel C600 chipset) that was formatted with a MBR. I am now in need of the ~.7 TB of drive space "left on the table" due to not formatting this as a GPT style disk. What I need to know, is can I restore a system image backup (of an MBR system) to a GPT reformatted array. In other words if I reformat this array to GPT boot, will I be able to recover my existing System Image Backup (created with the built in server backup utility)? If not, is re-installing and re-configuring my server the only alternative? Any Suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank's in advance for your help & expertise,

Tom

That sounds do-able to me. What I would do is try restoring to a spare drive that's formatted GPT. That way, you really risk nothing.

I tried restoring a win8 client on GPT to a MBR disk from server 2012 r2 and gave up.

I was testing the boot over the LAN option.

If this the boot disk... then  it's a lot more complicated, as poppapete indicates.

However, if you start a clean install and format it as GPT, then you should be able to in theory.

Otherwise, It should be doable.

I have done similar for windows 8 before. The important things to note for an MBR vs GPT disk is the boot up mechanism. GPT can only boot using efi, so unless your mobo supports efi, you can rule this option out.

That was exactly my problem. I was using an "old" MB that did not support UEFI so it could not format the disk. In most cases you are restoring to the same MB or newer so it is not an issue.

That was exactly my problem. I was using an "old" MB that did not support UEFI so it could not format the disk. In most cases you are restoring to the same MB or newer so it is not an issue.

Yeah, I assumed he was restoring to the same computer.