RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Failing Hardware .. Advice Needed

NickMov83

Hello,

I recently purchased essentials 2012 on ebay for use as a small business server, i installed the os onto a spare desktop pc we had laying around and all went well without a hitch.

Over the xmas period our business premises was flooded, it has destroyed multiple desktops and electricals and in the middle of all this was our server, it was powered down and i thought it was dead, after sorting out the power i started up the server and it began to boot, however it would hang then crash on the windows icon and go into a loop, occasionally it boots up but it has some sort of graphical issue as the screen becomes corrupted, i have tried multiple gfx cards, swapped memory, ran memory and hdd tests but there is no sign of anything wrong, i can only assume the water has somehow damaged the motherboard or PSU.

I have an identical desktop pc to the server which was not in the premises at the time of the flood, would it be possible for me to remove the HDD's from the main server and place them into the identical tower without affecting our license key? again i must make clear that the hardware in the new desktop is identical to the original. The ebay ad said in the description Note that this is not an OEM- or Volume license.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

That should be fine as long as you don't run it on two different systems.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Did you rinse the original server in plenty of good, clean, preferrably di-ionized water, and then thoroughly dry it out before powering it up. Also, even if the server was powered down, was it still plugged into the wall? If so, it would still have phantom power, which could have damaged the PSU or the maybe the mobo. I would also be concerned about any hard drives that got wet - water may have seeped into them.

Did you rinse the original server in plenty of good, clean, preferrably di-ionized water, and then thoroughly dry it out before powering it up. Also, even if the server was powered down, was it still plugged into the wall? If so, it would still have phantom power, which could have damaged the PSU or the maybe the mobo. I would also be concerned about any hard drives that got wet - water may have seeped into them.

The server was powered on during the flood, it was placed in an area that water was just able to reach it but not submerge it more than a few mm.

I only cleaned out the server with blasting air through it, there was no inclination that water had touched the motherboard but the bottom of the case was covered in a thick dust/muck combination that was tough to remove, also i do not have the benefit of time to really strip this down and clean properly

I would just be swapping the hard drives into the new desktop pc, if it has the same issue in that then at least i will finally know what is causing the problems, but all the signs seem to point to a faulty PSU as im almost sure hdd issues can not cause graphical glitches?

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't know why you haven't just moved the drives already.  If the other PC is identical, then Windows won't even know.

in the middle of all this was our server, it was powered down 

The server was powered on during the flood,

Which was it?  Was it powered on, or was it powered off?  Details man, details. :)

I don't know why you haven't just moved the drives already.  If the other PC is identical, then Windows won't even know.

Which was it?  Was it powered on, or was it powered off?  Details man, details. :)

I have not moved the drives over yet because i was making sure it would not affect the license, thats the main reason for this topic.

Apoligies on the details, the server was powered on during the flood, but when i got to the premises it was powered down, possibly due to the water getting into the sockets.

OK, so the server crashed due to a power outage. I take it that the server is not on a UPS?

About moving the drives: I would do it anyway, if for no other reason than to test that the drives are OK and the OS boots up properly. After all, it's possible that some data on one or more drives was corrupted by the server crash. Moving the drives would also give you time to work more thoroughly on the original server.

For the server that crashed, I would clean it out thoroughly. I might also change out the PSU. Then I would run memtest86, just to ensure the RAM is OK. If that all works out OK, I would install a spare drive and try installing an OS on it.

For the future, I would look into seeing if it's possible to raise the servers, in fact all the equipment, higher off the floor. And every server should also be on a UPS.