RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting SMART to report in Windows

lewis

I have got a new Gen8 server today and have installed a SSD in the ODD area attached to a Startech.com PCIe SATA card. At the moment there is one 6TB WD Red drive in the main drive bays which is set as a single RAID 0 logical partition.

On Windows Server 2012 R2 I've installed StableBit DrivePool and Scanner but Scanner says SMART is not being reported. How can I get SMART working as the Scanner is important as it can evacuate data off a failing disk.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schoondoggy

• HellDiverUK

• lewis

• psykix

Tried that and restarted the service. No luck.

This is the SATA card that the SSD for Windows boots from:http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-SATA-Express-Controller/dp/B003GS8VA4

31936.png

If I set the server RAID to be AHCI then SMART does report but the fans run louder (I've read that is common on these forums) so need RAID enabled (each disk being its own RAID 0 array).

Yeah, you'd be better off connecting the HDDs to the Startech controller and the SSD to the RAID controller.  Welcome to HP's semi-compatible PC server...

Yeah, you'd be better off connecting the HDDs to the Startech controller and the SSD to the RAID controller.  Welcome to HP's semi-compatible PC server...

That seems to defeat the point of having bought a server rather than just building one.

Well, that all depends on the server you buy.  If you buy the Gen8, you're getting in to all the issues they have due to the decisions HP made.   The iLO, the fan controls, the RAID, the power consumption, the booting, etc, etc.

At least with a self-build you can get pretty fundamental things like SMART, UEFI, and fan control working...

Edited by HellDiverUK

Well, that all depends on the server you buy.  If you buy the Gen8, you're getting in to all the issues they have due to the decisions HP made.   The iLO, the fan controls, the RAID, the power consumption, the booting, etc, etc.

At least with a self-build you can get pretty fundamental things like SMART, UEFI, and fan control working...

I don't remember having these issues on my old N40L servers but then I used FreeNAS. On my ML110G5 I run Windows Server but that is in AHCI.

That's because the Gen7 didn't suck.  It just worked.  The Gen8 added all that iLO crap that's pretty pointless and totally screws the pooch. 

I had a NL36 Gen7 and it was great.  I have a NL40 Gen7 at work that's got just over a year uptime in Nas4Free and it's also been perfect, it just does it's thing.  It's just the lack of raw processing power from the AMD chip that's the issue with those machines now.

All HP had to do was put a different board in the Gen7 with an Intel chip, and they'd have had a perfectly fine little server.  What they did with the Gen8 is just mind boggling. 

Have you updated all of the BIOS and firmware? Have you tried running the SSD on the ODD SATA port or in one of the swappable bays using a drive converter?

Yep, BIOS and firmware updated. Used the BIOS from the FTP link so its the newer J06. Tried SSD in the ODD SATA but it wouldn't see it and I didn't want to use the USB boot method which is why I got the SATA PCI card. 

The SSD is reporting SMART just fine. Its the main 6TB disk that is in a single RAID 0 array that SMART can't be read from. Presumably as the HP stack is managing the hardware and not passing through the SMART data to applications in the Windows OS?