RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
James Curran

Best WHS Backup replacement?

ikon

Let's say you have 6 clients. Let's also say they have an average of 100GB on them (I think that's low, but let's go with it for now). A single backup of all of them is 600GB. A second backup of them would take the total to 1200GB. A third would bring it to 1800GB.

Why multiple backups? Because it's always possible for a backup to fail. If the backup is overwriting a single existing backup, there is now zero backup of that computer.

How many versions of backup do I need? At least 21. Why? Because I back up every client every night. Sometimes, I don't notice that something's broken on a client for several days or weeks. It's not that I'm not using the clients; it's just that I didn't notice something was wrong for a while.

If I don't have at least 3 weeks of backups I might not be able to restore the client to a known good state. In reality, I have many more backups than that. That's because I'm using WHS2011 and each backup takes up only fractionally more space than the previous one. And, because of Single Instance Storage, I save 80% or more on the space taken up by the OS on each computer. All in all, it takes that 1800GB down to around 600GB. If I find an update, or 3rd party app, has done something untoward to one or more of my client computers, I can go back to a backup that was done before the update or 3rd party app were installed.

Now, obviously, my needs aren't going to be the same as everyone else's. Your needs appear to be pretty different for example. But, for my setup, I need Bare Metal Restore and the ability to roll a system back even up to several months. Acronis won't do that for me. Don't get me wrong: I own True Image Home, have for years, but it's not an ideal backup solution for me. It is great for one-offs though, and for cloning drives.

Drashna Jaelre

Where we part ways is the notion that a home server has to manage 10 plus clients

As Dave mentioned on the latest podcast, the concept of a home server is changing

As for single instance backup, 30 to 90 gigs is nothing with terabyte size backup destinations.

Where does the $900 cost come from. I spent 70 bucks for 3 licenses of acronis. My htpc has essentially a static image, so the occasional system image backup gives me enough protection. If I need more clients I can buy just what I need

Data/media are protected by one drive and crashplan

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

No, the concept of a consumer home is changing. There is a big difference.

However, full desktop PCs will ALWAYS have a place at home. Maybe not for casual users, but gamers will have a desktop. HTPC devices, work machines, etc. There are plenty of reasons.

But the biggest, most people can't get anywhere nearly as much done on a phone or tablet. A full sized keyboard is a hugely important thing. And bluetooth keyboards are slow, and every easy to exceed their data transfer speed. 

Also, the reason that the server team grabbed essentials is that businesses really do need a good backup solution and Essentials is absolutely fantastic for it. Beyond so.

As for the $900 price: Handy Backup, specifically.

It is the only CENTRALIZED backup solution. Using Acronis on 3 computers isn't centralized. In fact, it's the opposite. It's not a backup server. Which for more than 2 computers, is MUCH more useful. For 5 or more, it basically becomes a necessity to keep disk usage down.

As for capacity, you're right AND wrong. As HDD sizes jump up, so does content size. Look at realmedia vs DVD vs BluRAY vs 4K. It keeps increasing. That means you need more storage to hold that. Which then means you need more storage to back up everything as well.

Heck, for 10 computers in my household (5 people, with multiple computers per person), my backup database is 1.5TBs... and then it's duplicated to protect against drive failure.

If I didn't have deduplication (Single Instance Storage) for the backup system? That would probably be closer to 3-4TBs...

Al_Borges

Drashna, this is a "HOME SERVER" forum

Both you and Ikon seem to forget this.

But I think it is wrong for the forum Admins to stifle other points, especially in a w8.1 subforum

If you guys want to focus this group to a HP micro server/ windows 2012 support group fine. This community has been a great resource but things change

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

ikon

I'm not forgetting anything. I'm talking about a home server, my home server.

I'm also not trying to focus on MicroServers. I don't even own one (although I have worked on them).

ps: I'm not a forum Admin. And I'm not trying to stifle anything. I have always lauded the way these forums embrace all points of view. That's all I'm doing, expressing my point of view, explaining why something is, or is not, good for my situation. As I said, your needs appear to be significantly different from mine. That's fine. I do what I need for my situation, and I trust you do what's best for yours. I respect your reasons for doing what you do. I think it's good that both views get expressed. Each of our solutions, to our different needs, is going to appeal to different members and visitors. That's a strength of the forums IMHO.

Poppapete
 I think it's good that both views get expressed. Each of our solutions, to our different needs, is going to appeal to different members and visitors. That's a strength of the forums IMHO.

Ain't that the truth.

jmwills

Microservers are just the hot fad right now because of the upfront pricing.  But with some of the mods made to these boxes, you could honestly BYOB cheaper.

ikon

Yes you could. Although, pushing a technology to its absolute limit has been a favourite hobby for many people for decades.

• Like 1