RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
James Curran

Best WHS Backup replacement?

ikon

actually I am in favor of at least verification - for example, try to restore files from time to time, try a bare metal restore....

although at one time I had done 3 bare metal restores in a single day

Couldn't agree more. I have a phrase for it that I came up with at work many years ago: A backup without a verified restore isn't a backup. That doesn't mean you have to restore after every backup, only that it needs to be done periodically, to verify that everything is working properly.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Couldn't agree more. I have a phrase for it that I came up with at work many years ago: A backup without a verified restore isn't a backup. That doesn't mean you have to restore after every backup, only that it needs to be done periodically, to verify that everything is working properly.

Absolutely. Otherwise, it's like backing up to a black hole. Data goes in, and you never know if you can get that data back out........

He could always try the Veeam Endpoint Backup.

Pro:

It's Free.

It's Bare Metal.

Con:

Its Beta (but supposed to go consumer this quarter)

http://www.tinkertry.com/superguide-veeam-endpoint-backup-free/

It's also not centralized, nor single instance storage (deduplicated).

And it's free for now. Will it stay that way?

Poppapete

Ok, Ok and he did want a replacement for WHS which Veeam isn't.

Be interested to see if Tinkertry moves away from Windows Servers as he is threatening.

Al_Borges

Al_Borges, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure that's a completely fair comparison. After all, Acronis gives you only the backup portion of the equation. WSE2012 gives you not only client backup but also the server OS, web server, remote access, and other features. If you look at $150 for Acronis plus $120/$240 for Win8.1/pro, you're looking at between $270 and $390. That's getting awful close to the price of WSE2012, and, WSE2012 gives you Single Instance Storage, something Acronis doesn't.

I can't argue against WHS2011 — after all, it's what I'm still using ;)

If you look at his original post, he is very happy with his Win 8 "server" and was just asking for options for  backup that gave him similar  capabilities to WHS2011,  Going back to WHS2011 or rebuilding with Windows Server 2012 didnt really address his question. 

We have so many options, its hard to make a decision.   What I dont think is helpful is a boilerplate answer of  "go back to WHS2011, or  spend $400 bucks on Windows Server     

What I should have also mentioned is the built in backup features in windows 8 -    just got the  "Windows Secret Newsletter #464"  and Fred Langa (former  PC World editor)  has an excellent article on the built in Windows 8/10 backup ccapabilities

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/mastering-windows-8s-backuprestore-system/

I use Windows "System Image" backup to backup my HTPC and it works just fine.    Acronis ( some forum members use Paragon) give some additional capabilities that are useful.  

Single instance backup is not as imperative for the home user -  The backups for the 4 boxes on my network fit comfortably on a 1TB drive hooked directly into my ASUS router.   My images are 2 W7, 1 W8.1 and 1 W10 , so single instance wouldnt add much anyway.

ikon

All I'm saying is that comparing the cost of Acronis to that of WSE2012 isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

As far as Single Instance Storage goes, I would have to increase my server storage by at least 4TB if I didn't have it, so I guess I have quite a bit more data on my client PCs.

Drashna Jaelre

Be interested to see if Tinkertry moves away from Windows Servers as he is threatening.

Hasn't he been threatening that for a while? :)

If you look at his original post, he is very happy with his Win 8 "server" and was just asking for options for  backup that gave him similar  capabilities to WHS2011,  Going back to WHS2011 or rebuilding with Windows Server 2012 didnt really address his question. 

We have so many options, its hard to make a decision.   What I dont think is helpful is a boilerplate answer of  "go back to WHS2011, or  spend $400 bucks on Windows Server     

What I should have also mentioned is the built in backup features in windows 8 -    just got the  "Windows Secret Newsletter #464"  and Fred Langa (former  PC World editor)  has an excellent article on the built in Windows 8/10 backup ccapabilities

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/mastering-windows-8s-backuprestore-system/

I use Windows "System Image" backup to backup my HTPC and it works just fine.    Acronis ( some forum members use Paragon) give some additional capabilities that are useful.  

Single instance backup is not as imperative for the home user -  The backups for the 4 boxes on my network fit comfortably on a 1TB drive hooked directly into my ASUS router.   My images are 2 W7, 1 W8.1 and 1 W10 , so single instance wouldnt add much anyway.

The problem is, without that dedulication, that 's ~30GBs PER system. And that adds up quickly. 

As for the "System Image Backup", this is not an incremental backup. it's a single image that gets overwritten every day. That's really really dangerous, as you could overwrite a good backup with a damaged one without ever knowing it.

File History Backup is basically just a versioned file copy. While that is nice, it can add up VERY quickly. Considering how much data I have .... it's not a viable solution in any way. For me, at least.

But you're right, we got away from the "WHS like backup." But there is a reason for that. Any backup solution that is similar to WHS is going to be missing a lot of features, or VERY expensive. 

As I mentioned, Handy Backup does that, But it's going to cost you ~$900 out the door, not counting the per workstation licensing.

Also, other network enabled backups are entirely client based. There is no "server" component. Meaning no centralized management of them...

ikon

30GB per system is conservative IMHO. Add some Adobe apps (PhotoShop, Illustrator, Premier, Lightroom, Office) and the space taken up on your C: drive can expand greatly. And that's without any games.

Drashna Jaelre

Yup, exactly. Especially if they're installed on multiple machines. That could get to 100GB per system easily. And at 10 systems .... that's a TB already.

And games.... that's ~20GBs PER game anymore. And that's being conservative.

Al_Borges

Where we part ways is the notion that a home server has to manage 10 plus clients

As Dave mentioned on the latest podcast, the concept of a home server is changing

As for single instance backup, 30 to 90 gigs is nothing with terabyte size backup destinations.

Where does the $900 cost come from. I spent 70 bucks for 3 licenses of acronis. My htpc has essentially a static image, so the occasional system image backup gives me enough protection. If I need more clients I can buy just what I need

Data/media are protected by one drive and crashplan

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk