RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
James Curran

Best WHS Backup replacement?

Drashna Jaelre

Agree. Such an eye-opener. As soon as you figure out that it's a domain server and a backup solution for 25 users rolled into one, then the $400 price tag seems like a steal.

Seams like nothing. It really is.

Even if you don't use the domain stuff, the backup solution is awesome. And to clarify, it's for 25 users and 50 COMPUTERS. 

And it comes with a website that you can upload and download files from, as well as a built in VPN (just SSTP by default, but you can open ports and do some configuration for other VPN protocols). 

nrf

(just SSTP by default, but you can open ports and do some configuration for other VPN protocols). 

do you have any recommended links on how to master this particular customization activity?

nrf

Drashna Jaelre

Depends on which protocol you want to enable.

PPTP is the easiest, but it's also the easiest to crack.

To do that, just forward port 1723 on the router to the server, and make sure that it allows for VPN passthrough.

As for L2TP, it depends on which version you want to use. I'll cover JUST the PreShared Key (PSK) method, as it's much more simple.

Either way, it 'll require install the "RRAS" console. To do so, load up the server manager and add it.

Under Roles, make sure that "DirectAccess and VPN (RAS)" and "Routing" are installed (they should be already).

Under featuers, it's "Remote Server Administration Tools -> Role Administration Tools -> Remote Access Management Tools -> Remote Access GUI and Command-Line".

Once you've done this, in "Tools" or "Administrative Tools", there will be a "Routing and Remote Access" console. Open that up.

Find the server name, and right click on it.

Select "Properties" and click on the "Security" tab.

Check the "Allow custom IPsec polici for L2TP/IKEv2 connection". Input a ... well passphrase here. This is your preshared key. This is much like your wireless AP's WPA key, in that it allows access to the VPN. However, you also require the username and password to log in.

Forward ports 1701, 500, and 4500. These are all UDP ports.

Also, you need to make sure the router allows L2TP (or manually enable "IP Protocol 50", in firewalls/UTMs that require it (like Sophos UTM).

You may need to enable the options in Windows firewall, as well. 

Once youv'e done this, you should be able to access the VPN over L2TP (which is much more secure than PPTP), and is supported by Android (and possible iOS, but I don't own any apple products, so I have no idea).

nrf

thanks! I will give it a spin! :)

nrf

ok, thanks for that, I'm in like flint!

perhaps the above should be a sticky! 

thanks to you I have been able to move up a notch from pptp. someday I will figure out how to do the certificat stuff.

nrf :D

Al_Borges

"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

You really couldn't answer this question without 1st knowing how many clients you were needing to support. For most situations, 25 clients and $400 bucks just for the software alone is overkill.

Acronis will meet the need and a 3 pack license is $150 which is frequently on sale

Local crash plan backup also does most of what is needed

But jmwiils has what may be the best suggestion. WHS. From what I've learned on this post , WHS2011 should work for as long as MS supports the client software

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

ikon

Al_Borges, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure that's a completely fair comparison. After all, Acronis gives you only the backup portion of the equation. WSE2012 gives you not only client backup but also the server OS, web server, remote access, and other features. If you look at $150 for Acronis plus $120/$240 for Win8.1/pro, you're looking at between $270 and $390. That's getting awful close to the price of WSE2012, and, WSE2012 gives you Single Instance Storage, something Acronis doesn't.

I can't argue against WHS2011 — after all, it's what I'm still using ;)

• Like 1

nrf

I can't argue against WHS2011 — after all, it's what I'm still using ;)

like they say, if it isn't broken....

jmwills

like they say, if it isn't broken....

Don't try and break it either....

nrf

actually I am in favor of at least verification - for example, try to restore files from time to time, try a bare metal restore....

although at one time I had done 3 bare metal restores in a single day