RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
James Curran

Best WHS Backup replacement?

James Curran

I've retired my WHS box, and am having great success replacing it with a Win8 Storage Space (In a weird frankenstein machine where I has 6 drives in two cases with SATA cables running between them)

The only thing it's missing is a proper WHS Backup replacement.  I've looked at a couple, but none seem to even come close to the features of WHS Backup:

- Backups every machine on network

- Any saved past backup available, complete,  as a mounted drive (*)

- yet, a nightly backup is small & incremental

- a bare-metal rebuild is available.

(*) It not really important the files be presented as a mount drive --- just that without doing a full backup every night, I can pick a day, and see every file as it was that day, even files that hadn't change in weeks, and therefore were only part of the increment backup weeks earlier)

Anyone have any suggestions?

jmwills

Suggestions?  Go back to WHS.

Drashna Jaelre

Acronis has solutions. It's confusing what you actually need, and it appears to be $1800.....

There is "Handy Backup Network", which I've never heard of before googling for this, but they appear to fit the bill. If you don't mind that this bill is $600

http://www.handybackup.net/handybackup-network.shtml

And from there, it gets harder to find actual solutions....

If you want central, deduped backups with bare metal restore, WHS2011 is the best option for cheap. Otherwise, get Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials (which as the backups, and other stuff). It's $400, but cheaper than the other solutions. There is also a 180 day eval version that can be upgraded to retail....

oj88

If there's one thing WHS, et al, shines at, it's their automatic client backups and BMR. It's the glue that kept me from moving to a non-WHS platform.

Why not virtualize WHS inside Win8 and task it to just backup your clients? Win8 (the host) can handle everything else.

Acronis has solutions. It's confusing what you actually need, and it appears to be $1800.....

There is "Handy Backup Network", which I've never heard of before googling for this, but they appear to fit the bill. If you don't mind that this bill is $600

http://www.handybackup.net/handybackup-network.shtml

And from there, it gets harder to find actual solutions....

If you want central, deduped backups with bare metal restore, WHS2011 is the best option for cheap. Otherwise, get Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials (which as the backups, and other stuff). It's $400, but cheaper than the other solutions. There is also a 180 day eval version that can be upgraded to retail....

If I may add, it only comes with one free agent. You'll need one agent license for every client PC you want backed up at $49 a pop!

ikon

I agree; it's really very hard to replace WHS Client Backup.

Drashna Jaelre

And more importantly, to replace it with a price point that isn't nearly $1000......

ikon

And more importantly, to replace it with a price point that isn't nearly $1000......

And then there's that :)

Drashna Jaelre

And then there's that :)

Makes the $400 for Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials seem reasonable, doesn't it?

ikon

Well, certainly more reasonable, that's for sure.

oj88

Agree. Such an eye-opener. As soon as you figure out that it's a domain server and a backup solution for 25 users rolled into one, then the $400 price tag seems like a steal.