RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Black²

okhomer

Before I'd do that, I'd get a dedicated SSD for the OS and a 7200 RPM drive for the data.  I stream movies and recorded TV from a RAID5 array compiled from WED RED drives.  No issues.

I second a physically separate SSD and HDD. If one breaks, the remaining drive would have a very high chance of still being accessible.

The Black2 seems to rely upon a driver so it can present the SSD as the C: drive and the HDD as the D: drive to the OS. I don't know what the Black2's behavior will be if either the SSD or HDD breaks. It might very well end up with both portions of the drive inaccessible.

The Black2 is some sort of dodgy homebrew implementation of Intel's RST.

I wouldn't bother, just buy a real SSD and HDD.  It's not worth the hassle, and it probably doesn't work very well (I'm assuming that as no-one talks about them anywhere).

I am trying to cut down on some heat but I guess it would not be that much less.  Thanks for your inputs. 

You can get SSDs that generate almost no heat.

Read the specs carefully on SSD's active power consumption varies widely. A PNY SSD I have draws 5w, more than a 2.5" drive. A Samsung 830 I have draws .15w.

That sounds like a very effective way to identify low heat SSDs schoondoggy. Hard to generate heat if there isn't enough juice to do it. :)