RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L with ESXi 5.5 but which Raid Card

citizen0100

Hi All,

Firstly sorry for another Raid card post but I'm useless and cant deicde what to do,  I have a N54L with ESXi 5.5 running on it without a raid card.  So all was great and I was using each single drive as a datastore but today a drive dies meaning I lost everything on it (and there was loads). 

So I need a Raid card but I'm a tad limited finiancially (as I need new disks too), I've looked at a HP P410 but I cant much in the UK under £80 could anyone recommend anything else (Adaptec ASR-3405??) which may be a tad cheaper and compatible?

Thanks

Hi All,

Firstly sorry for another Raid card post but I'm useless and cant deicde what to do,  I have a N54L with ESXi 5.5 running on it without a raid card.  So all was great and I was using each single drive as a datastore but today a drive dies meaning I lost everything on it (and there was loads). 

So I need a Raid card but I'm a tad limited finiancially (as I need new disks too), I've looked at a HP P410 but I cant much in the UK under £80 could anyone recommend anything else (Adaptec ASR-3405??) which may be a tad cheaper and compatible?

Thanks

I was running my N54L (and the N36L prior) with the Adaptec 2405.

It was running perfectly on both, with ESXi 4.1, 5.0, 5.1 and 5.5

The only reason I replaced it with the HP P410 is due to the fact I could not configure RDM for Xpenology on ESXi (known problem with Adaptec RAID cards). If you're not going to install Xpenology this should not be a problem.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help guys, I've managed to buy a P410 off ebay for £40.  It doesnt have a battery, would this mean I'd love my config on reboot or is that written to the drives?

Thanks for all your help guys, I've managed to buy a P410 off ebay for £40.  It doesnt have a battery, would this mean I'd love my config on reboot or is that written to the drives?

On most RAID cards i know of, the configuration is written on the disks. That's why you can normally move a disk array from one RAID card to another and have the array stay intact. I'm not saying this applies to every RAID card, but I think it's more normal than not. Now, having said that, the array does have to be moved to a RAID card that understands the array configuration info, which usually means moving to a RAID card from the same manufacturer and/or the same RAID card series.

Also, despite some of the statements in those links, I do not believe it is necessary to have a BBU in addition to a UPS, with one exception. AFAIC, a UPS is enough to protect the data in a WriteBack configuration. As long as the UPS works (i.e. keeps the server powered up) the data in the RAID cache should be protected. The exception is that some RAID cards won't permit WriteBack if they don't detect a BBU. In that situation, if you want maximum performace from your RAID system, there is really no choice but to have a BBU on the RAID card. My 2 cents...