RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Suggested fan replacement for Gen8 Microserver?

ultrakomm

Hi! 

I just received my Gen8. Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement fan? I find the supplied one to be a bit too noisy.

Best wishes

U

Even if you wanted to swap it, the fan uses a proprietary connector.

It might be possible to cut the loom, but if it doesn't work a HP replacement is probably not that cheap.

Of course you could power an aftermarket fan from somewhere else in the PSU loom, but iLO will register the fan as faulted (at least I expect it will)...

• Like 1

I think the standard fan has a thermistor in it as well, because exit temperature is listed in the iLO "Sea of Sensors".

Besides, the PSU fan makes more noise than the rest of the machine, and it's a pathetic 40mm thing.  Good luck getting anything quieter there.

I think the standard fan has a thermistor in it as well, because exit temperature is listed in the iLO "Sea of Sensors".

Besides, the PSU fan makes more noise than the rest of the machine, and it's a pathetic 40mm thing.  Good luck getting anything quieter there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119049&cm_re=evercool-_-35-119-049-_-Product

I don't know, those are pretty quiet, but it would take a bit of hacking to get it working in the PSU. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119049&cm_re=evercool-_-35-119-049-_-Product

I don't know, those are pretty quiet, but it would take a bit of hacking to get it working in the PSU. :)

The PSU can overheat and shut down with a slower fan.  The cooling on those supplies is already marginal with the standard fan, hence the high rpms and noise. :(

• Like 1

Hi,

So PSU fan is making more noise than the case fan? I though that it was most to be acussed of the noise. I am running my Gen8 in a closed cabinet with limited ventilation so naturally it makes these controlled fans run rather hot. It would be nice if it would be possible to manually modify the speed of the fans.

So the PSU fan could be overcome by ex. using picoPSU? Has anybody tried that? 

I seriously think HellDiver's psu fan is faulty

I have an evercool 40mm fan in my 24 port switch

and have it volt modded from 12v to 6v

and its by far the loudest thing in my network area

it drowns out my microserver unless the microserver is rebooting ofc