RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint 2720 Bad Sector Troubles

JoeSzymkowicz

I recently bought a HighPoint RocketRaid 2720SGL to replace a RR 2640x4, and I bought 4 Seagate ST5000DM000 5TB to create a RAID 5 array. When I initially bought the drives, I ran SeaTools on all of them individually but had a weird issue where the drive seemed to fail immediately when the tests would start and the drive would be removed/not visible to the system and would have to restart the machine to be able to access it again. Since it happened on ALL 4 drives, I just believed that this was an issue with the software and continued to run HD Tune on them. The drives performed well in HD Tune, not finding any errors,/bad sectors and doing well in speed tests. After testing all the drives, I initialized my array and started restoring data to the new array from the old one. After watching the Event Log in HighPoint Webman for a couple of days, I started noticing a weird pattern, where it would report that it found bad sectors on the new drives and report that it had fixed them, sometimes on all 4 drives. But when I would check SHI and the SMART info, it says that there are 0 Bad Sectors Found and Repaired. Can anyone make heads or tails of whats going on? Upon later research, I did find out that these drives were apparently are de-shelled external drives from Seagate and that alone makes me a bit weary, so I have set the spin-down accordingly, but I would not think that this mean the drives to be sold intentionally defective.

The drives in question are channel 1-4.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by JoeSzymkowicz

Upon later research, I did find out that these drives were apparently are de-shelled external drives from Seagate and that alone makes me a bit weary, so I have set the spin-down accordingly, but I would not think that this mean the drives to be sold intentionally defective.

I have a pair of ST4000DM001 drives which I shucked from external drives.  They've been fine, but they do have different firmware to 'normal' drives. They also park very quickly.  So far it hasn't been an issue, but they do both have 100k+ head parks on them.  They're still running OK.  I don't think I'd use them in anything other than a RAID1 or singly, though.

• Like 1

You said they're ST5000DM000 drives. That means they lack TLER on the firmware. And this is most likely is the issue. 

Not to mentioned, if they are shelled drives, that can cause issues as well.

Where did you get the drives from? Because the model is used for both externals and internals. You can verify by checking the warranty on the drive.

And honestly, if they were shelled drives that were sold .... if they didn't disclose that, I would recommend getting a refund.

Yeah, this sounds like a case of using desktop type drives in a RAID configuration. Years ago, it was easier to get away with this, but that has changed and I personally wouldn't recommend using any drives that aren't specifically stipulated to be NAS or RAID drives.

Yeah, this sounds like a case of using desktop type drives in a RAID configuration. Years ago, it was easier to get away with this, but that has changed and I personally wouldn't recommend using any drives that aren't specifically stipulated to be NAS or RAID drives.

This. Absolutely agree.

Specifically, what has changed is the "TLER" stuff. Get a NAS drive at least, or don't bother.

I had that HighPoint card and had the same issues with it (though I had ST3000DM001 drives that were shelled).