RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Drashna Jaelre

(In Stock Again) Windows Home Server 2011 - $99

Renny

So Tempted to go back. 2012 Essentials is just too much maintenance for a bloke who just wants a Home Server

• Like 1

oj88

I'm somewhat in the same line of thought that you have. But the difference is, I've only tried WSE in a test environment. I have always been an advocate of running the "latest and greatest" but with WSE2012, I'm just not sure. It took me 2-3 years (out of the 4 years it's been up and running) to get my WHS2011 exactly the way I want it. Moving to WSE will no doubt present a new set of challenges that I think is just not worth the effort. In other words, I don't like the idea of jumping through hoops and loops (ie. disabling domain join) just to make it do what WHS2011 has been doing right for years.

Still, inevitably, I'd still need to move out when support ends early next year. But I'm not particularly in a hurry.

Anyway, back to regular programming.... I sincerely hope that people who still want WHS2011 will be able to get a copy.

• Like 1

jmwills

I will probably skip 2012 Essentials altogether and migrate to Server 10 when it becomes available.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

WHS2011 with DrivePool & Scanner is serving me nicely protecting my important data -- Of course I experiment with S2012R2 etc to have fun.

• Like 1

awraynor

Already showing out of stock for me. 

oj88

Not surprising. They were likely been bought by people here.

They lurk amongst us... :D

Drashna Jaelre

Already showing out of stock for me. 

Yup, same here. That was ... quick.

Must have been a bunch of people that jumped on it.

ikon

Still, inevitably, I'd still need to move out when support ends early next year. But I'm not particularly in a hurry.

Security updates will continue until 2020. Since WHS2011 is doing everything I need, what updates do I need besides ones for security?

• Like 1

oj88

Security updates will continue until 2020. Since WHS2011 is doing everything I need, what updates do I need besides ones for security?

Yeah, good point.