RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Nice New Year's Gift

ikon

One of my Lian Li EX-503 units decided to give me an early New Year's gift: a dead external AC adapter.

It came about in a roundabout fashion. First, one of my UPS units started beeping. I went down to my server setup, found the beeping UPS, figured either it's faulty or has a dead battery.

There was an error message on the UPS' display but I couldn't read it. So I put on my glasses ;). the display read "Overload". That got me suspicious.

Just to check, I powered down the UPS, unplugged everything from it, and powered it back up. Lo and behold, it came up just fine. OK.... obviously something more going on here.

That's when I noticed that only 1 of my 2 EX-503 units had powered up. I checked the power connections to the one that didn't power up; nothing wrong with them. So, time to dig out the VOM: zero volts. Not even a trickle; total complete zero.

That's when I noticed the smell. Oh yeah, there it is; that unmistakable odour of burnt electronics. I haven't opened the AC adapter, but I suspect the insulation on a transformer's windings have melted.

Just to be sure the EX-503 itself is OK, I swapped the AC adapter from the other one to the faulty one. It powered up just fine. So, it really is only the adapter.

The AC adapter is made by FSP Group, but I can't find the exact model on their web site, so I've emailed Lian Li and asked how to get a new adapter.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• Jason

• Poppapete

Ugh. Sorry to hear this ikon. If you wouldn't mind sharing your findings from Lian Li, I'd appreciate it. No telling when I too may need a replacement. Seems the EX-503 units themselves aren't exactly widely available let alone the parts. Thanks and happy new year!

If absolutely necessary, I will buy a 12V 10A brick and move the barrel connector and cable from the dead one to the new. Would be nice if I don't have to though.

I have had many cases and was a Antec fanboy until my first LianLi. I think they make high quality products (but not cheap). Would be interested to know if the adapter was one bad apple.

From Wikipedia:

"Fortron Source Power Group (FSP Group) is a Taiwanese company[1] that manufactures power supply units for PCs.[1] FSP is the 5th largest power supply vendor in the World.[1] "

LianLi is also a Taiwanese company.

I have had many cases and was a Antec fanboy until my first LianLi. I think they make high quality products (but not cheap). Would be interested to know if the adapter was one bad apple.

From Wikipedia:

"Fortron Source Power Group (FSP Group) is a Taiwanese company[1] that manufactures power supply units for PCs.[1] FSP is the 5th largest power supply vendor in the World.[1] "

LianLi is also a Taiwanese company.

Well, I do have 2 EX-503s, and the other adapter is still chugging along just fine. I think it's in the nature of these external AC adapters for them to fail periodically. They do pack an awful lot of electronics into a small plastic case, often without ventilation and no heatsinking to speak of.

That ... really sucks. :(

Though, I wonder how much worse that could have gotten without a UPS....

FSP are also known as Fortron/Sparkle, and are OEM for a lot of big brand PSUs and supply PSUs for a lot of OEM PCs (they make most of Lenovo's supplies).  They make pretty good supplies, I've had zero issues with them over the years.

I don't know that I like having the name "Sparkle" in my PSU's brand name..... It's like calling a HDD a "fireball"...

Quantum Fireballs were good drives!

LOL :D You're right, they were pretty decent drives.

In any case, I used the Lian Li Contact Form to ask how to get a replacement. They replied a few days later asking for a copy of my invoice, saying the adapter has a 2 year warranty (mine was bought in 2011, so it's not under warranty). I've sent them a PDF of the invoice; waiting to hear back.